| Prologue |

Gotham City - 2000

Gotham City - 2000

There was a rule to follow. Only one rule and Holly Green couldn't even stick to it. She knew it though. But she still had to cross the line. There was sometimes a very thin line between the right and the wrong choice. 

There was a moment when she wondered if she really was a good mother to her barely nine-year-old daughter. Deep down, she believed it. But now that she was in that situation, she wasn't quite sure anymore.

"Mommy, I'm tired!" Cried a scared little Jane.

The curly-haired petite brunette tried to pull her mother's hand to slow her down, but she did the opposite. Her mother, Holly, continued to throw panicked glances over her shoulder as she continued to speed through the back streets of Gotham.

More than a few yards, she thought. Her little girl just had to be a little faster and they would be safe.

Holly glanced nervously at the most precious thing she possessed before swallowing in anguish as she heard footsteps behind them again."There's no time, Hon. Just do what mom tells you, okay?"

"But mommy-"

"Shhh!"Holly hissed, clearly running out of patience with the recalcitrant child.

Realizing that they couldn't make it to their house at this rate, Holly abruptly let go of her daughter's hand. She leaned down to pick her up in her arms before setting off on a frantic run.

Anyone would think she was running for her life at this pace. And it was.

She could feel the muscles in her arms and lungs protesting inside her but Holly only tightened her grip around her little girl's tiny body as she glanced over her shoulder yet again.

If only she hadn't been out this late. If only she had listened to her own warnings. Life was difficult enough. Why had she given in to her daughter's whim? It was just a stupid fun fair after all. If only they had stayed at home.

This time, she could fully see her attacker through the few beams of light lodged in the alley. He had a mortifying expression.

Holly knew that if she slowed down for even a second, she and her daughter would be dead.

Jane, meanwhile, couldn't ignore the familiar voice of her mother popping up in her head. All those times she had forbidden her to walk alone at night in Gotham.