|When Cuddles and drugs aren't enough|

Chapter XVI

Chapter XVI.

|When Cuddles and drugs aren't enough|

A blinding light.

A free fall.

Her heart heaving in her chest.

Then her body hit the water in the tank head on.

Agony resurfaced in her as she struggled against the water infiltrating her lungs little by little. She tried to struggle with all her might, but her cries were muffled by the still, murderous water. Then it was complete calm.

Until the cycle started all over again. Again and again.

A blinding light.A free fall. Her heart heaving in her chest. Her body hitting the water in the tank head on. Agony resurfaced in her as she struggled against the water infiltrating her lungs little by little.

She tried to struggle with all her might, but her cries were muffled by the still, murderous water.

Then it was complete calm.

Jane let out a strangled scream as she leapt from her covers into a sitting position, panting.

She tried to erase the images haunting her confused mind before sharply pulling the covers off her at the sensation of her burning body.

She would die of heat.

She took deep breaths in hopes of calming her erratic heartbeats before running her hand through her hair as she looked around in an effort to ground herself in reality.

She was no longer there.

Dick and Kory had blown up the asylum. She was doing fine.

She swallowed at the irony of her own thoughts before letting a scoff as she collapsed back to the mattress in exhaustion.

She couldn't believe she was still trying to convince herself that all was well with her.

Jane had always been subject to nightmares since she was a child, but this time it was much more serious.

She hadn't really closed her eyes since they'd returned from the asylum. Each time she let herself be consumed by sleep, she found herself again in this immense bottomless tank.

One thing was certain, she would never take a bath again.

She let out a humorless laugh at her train of thought.Then another and yet another. She continued to laugh in silence until she felt her bursts of laughter turn to silent sobs.

She fought the tears threatening to run down her cheeks in frustration.

She didn't understand what was happening to her.