Prologue

"We can't give up yet! We have to keep fighting!" screeched a muscular black Tom.

"It's no use, Blackpelt! We've already lost most of the clan, we need to run!" yowled a tortoiseshell she-cat, "we can't risk all the other cats' lives as well!"

Blackpelt looked at the three remaining cats to all the dead cats, "I suppose you're right Spottedpelt-run WaterClan! find somewhere safe!"

But his warning came too late, badgers were surrounding the other cats including Spottedpelt and within seconds the badgers killed them, "No! Spottedpelt!" Blackpelt's yowl rang across the clearing.

He hid under a bramble bush, hissing under his breath as a bramble stabbed his nose. As he watched the badgers closely until they started to disappear, he looked around at his camp, every one of his clanmates were dead, the clearing was stained with blood, he could barely see the grass, and every den-the nursery, the apprentice's den, the warriors' den, the elders' den and even the medicine cat's den-was stomped in, the only den that was still in tack was Kittystar's-the leader's-under the highrock-the biggest rock in the clearing-that is used to address the clan for meetings.

When the last badger had all left, he raced out of the bramble bush and to his mate's side and buried his nose in her fur. Oh, Spottedpelt! This is all my fault, I should have told everyone to run sooner. Lying down beside her, he breathed in her sweet scent for the last time, while he bagan to sit vigil for her.