Chapter 19

The cats behind Treestar raced into the clearing, "Attack!" Hollystar shouted as she jumped down from the highbranch.  Every warrior screeched as they raced into battle.

"Go for the medicine cats first!" Treestar ordered.

One of Treestar's warriors stopped and looked for the cat who wasn't fighting.  He spotted Snowstorm and pounced at her.  Knocking her to the ground before she could get out of the way, he bit deep into her neck.

"Snowstorm!" Dawnsky yowled, as she jumped on the cat's back and raked her claws down his side as he stumbled over.

Hollystar couldn't see what happened next because she got tackled by another cat.  She shrieked as teeth dug into her neck.  She scraped her claws across his face, making him fall backwards into Badgerheart, who quickly  snapped his jaws around the cat's neck and bit hard enough to kill him.

She quickly turned to see that most of the StormClan cats were surrounded, but Dawnsky was still wrestling with the cat who attacked Snowstorm.  Oaktail pounced at the cat and snarled at it as he raked his claws across the cat's flank.  Hollystar raced to Snowstorm's side.

"StarClan needs me now," She murmured.

"No!" Hollystar shouted, "we need you!"

"There's nothing that can save me," She coughed out blood, "and I'm sure Dawnsky will do fine without me."

Hollystar buried her head in Snowstorm's fur as she watched the last breath leave her body.  She forgot all about the battle that was going on behind her, until a cat slammed into her and bit her neck as hard as it could.  She fell over, breathing heavily.  She managed to see Treestar being knocked off of her by Nightfall, and killed by one swift scratch to the neck, before her eyes closed.

She woke up in StarClan's hunting grounds.  She looked around and saw Snowstorm walking over to her.

"Am I losing another life?" She asked the former medicine cat.

"I'm sorry, Hollystar," Snowstorm meowed softly, "but you can't return to your body."

She looked at her for a moment, "I can't be dead!  I still have seven lives!"

Snowstorm dipped her head, "The wound you received from Treestar was too deep.  You lost all seven lives at once because StarClan couldn't heal the wound that killed you."

She looked at her paws, "Is every other cat okay?"

Snowstorm nodded, "They won the battle when Nightfall killed Treestar."

"He didn't have nine lives?"

"He never went to the Moonstone when he became a leader."

Hollystar looked around.  This is where I live now.  I'm never going to be able to return to my clan.