Chapter 15

"I was about to go looking for the fox, when Treeheart snuck up on me and attacked me," Oaktail explained.

It had been a few days since Oaktail's injury, and he finally had enough strength to talk.

Just then, Treeheart came up beside Hollystar, "Why would I do something like that?" he demanded.

"I don't know, maybe you could tell us!" Oaktail retorted.

"Calm down.  Oaktail, are you sure you saw him attack you?"

"I wouldn't lie to my mother, let alone clan leader."

"Then you probably saw another cat with the same colour pelt as me," Treeheart suggested, he sounded convincing, but he was lying!  Why won't you believe me Hollystar?  Oaktail prayed she would find out soon enough to stop Treeheart's destruction to the clan.

"Well, I'm getting tired of this.  I'm going to get something from the fresh-kill pile," Treeheart stormed off and took the biggest piece of fresh-kill on the pile.

"Please believe me Hollystar," he whispered, "I'm telling the truth, I saw him running toward me and I saw him pounce, then I felt his claws digging into my pelt."

"I believe you," she murmured, "but before I can do anything about it, I need more evidence."

He looked at his paws, "I know, but keep a close eye on him."

She nodded and padded across the clearing to talk to Snowstorm and Dawnpaw.  I need to get evidence that Treeheart was the one who tried to kill me.  He stood up slowly and pretended not to feel the pain and walked over to Hollystar and Snowstorm.

"Can I go down to the lake to stretch my paws?" he asked.

"Are you sure you have enough strength to make it there?" Snowstorm meowed cautiously.

"Of course I am," he reassured her, "but just to make sure, could Dawnpaw come with me to make sure I get back safely-that is if you want to" he added to Dawnpaw.

Snowstorm nodded, "That would be a good idea."

"I'll go," Dawnpaw mewed, "and while we're out, I'll collect some herbs."

They headed for the camp entrance, and as they got outside camp, Dawnpaw asked, "So why did you want me to come?"

She could tell whenever he was troubled.  She was his sister, after all.

"I want to see if Treeheart really is trying to destroy the clan," he explained, "I want to see if he comes to attack us.  Me being weakened and you being a medicine cat apprentice with your code being to keep peace and not fighting if you can avoid it."

"If you're right and he does come to attack us, I'm going to fight if he hurts you."

"Don't," he told her, "if he attacks I want you to go straight to camp and tell the others.  I can manage on my own until you get back with a few warriors."

"You think I can't fight?" she hissed.

"It's not that," he defended himself, "we can't risk him getting away and pretending he's innocent."

"I guess you're right," they sat down by the water until a voice came out from behind them.

"Hey, 'warrior.' How'd you like being beaten back at the waterfall?"