Rosaline

I wake up to the sound of knocking on my front door, perfect. Who doesn't want to wake up to that? I roll to my side to look at my alarm clock, 6:14 am, what the fuck. Who goes knocking on someone's door at six in the morning.

Reluctantly I get up, pulling my blanket off letting the cold air hit my body. I let out a pitiful sigh and slowly I make my way out of my room, though the kitchen and down the hallway to the front door, the floor creaking under my feet.

I open the door a bit, trying to see who it was and through the small opening I see Leo, so I pull open the door completely and let him in.

"What are you doing?! It is six in the morning"

I whisper as loud as possible. What could seriously need from me right now.

"I need you"

"Damn bro, that's what you have Sofia for"

I laugh in response. Personally I thought I was hilarious, it made me a little less grumpy than I am but judging by Leo's reaction, it's not the time.

"I need you to help, I was going to wake Sofia up to pancakes... but I have no clue how to make pancakes"

Seriously... he is 26, two years older than me and he doesn't know how to make pancakes. What kind of friends do I have or better yet what 26 year old can't make pancakes and yet he's the one in a relationship?!

"Okay, I have some pancake mix around here one minute"

"I have some at my place"

"No it's fine I got it"

I sigh in response, I don't know whether to be mad at him for waking me up right now or pity this poor grown ass man. I try to show him what to do and let him cook the first pancake because honestly, the first pancake is always the worst no matter who cooks it but damn, this man has burnt this pancake to a crisp, smoke making its way through the air in my apartment. Obviously then I took over and all was going good till the front door opened and in walked Sofia. Leo tried to cover me but it was no use.

"I can't believe he still doesn't know how to make pancakes, i've known him three years and not once have I seen him cook more then toast"

Sofia says to me, my back facing her but I turned my head to her to show I was paying attention.

"you know I can hear you"

Leo says in response, putting down his arms in response to what his fiancé had just said about him.

"I know"

Sofia shrugs, kissing him on the cheek and making her way over to me.

"How did you know I was even here"

Leo asks her, his tone showing signs of defeat.

"I saw the pancake stuff on the counter and figured you came here so Rose could help your grown ass"

She laughs. I turn to look at her, sharing the same humoured smile on my face.

"I have a gift for you, over on the table there"

I tell her, nodding my head towards where it sat. She gasps.

"you shouldn't have"

"And if I didn't you would be telling me I should have"

I say response, sliding the final pancake onto the plate with some already stacked pancakes, turning the stove off, relieved that the hot air coming it would stop coming into my apartment. She laughs in response, tapping the box with her fingers, biting her lip from excitement.

Slowly she takes off the wrapping paper, trying not to look to eager but failing oh so terribly. She opens it to reveal a jewelry box and inside, a small necklace with a cardinal on it.

"I saw you looking at it the last time we went out shopping, I went an bought it while you weren't looking"

I tell her as she pulls me into a tight hug, so tight it was probably starting to cut off my blood circulation.

"It's perfect thank you"

she whispers to me. Cardinals used to be her mother's favourite animal and once she passed away, the bird holds more important meaning to her.

Once the hug had ended I turned and passed the plate with pancakes to Sofia.

"Now you guys go enjoy these"

I tell her.

"Your not going to join"

Sofia asks me, confusion written all over my face.

"No I can't sorry, I am still coming for dinner tonight though, at lugi's right"

I ask, lugi's has always been her favourite restaurant... and bar when she needs it. For as long as i've known her she has always wanted to go there if she gets to pick where we head out.

"Obviously"

She laughs.

"But why aren't you able to join"

she asks me as I walk with her an Leo too the front door.

"today I go and visit my grandma"

I say as I lean against the doorway, Sofia slapping herself on the forehead as a way of saying "oh right" to me. I wave to them as they turn and go into their apartment. Silence instantly taking over the atmosphere.

I lean against my door. Okay.

This time I won't forget what flowers to get Grandma.