Ch 40 ~ The Feast of Starlight

The courtyard of the palace has been transformed into a spectacle of festivity and light. The stars bathe the forest below in a silver glow so bright that it could almost seem like daytime. My footsteps fall silent against the soft earth, the velvet of my dress whispering over the grass as I enter into the teeming crowd, trying to take it all in. Elves of all ranks and ages dressed in elaborate gowns and rich robes fill the illuminated space in a flurry of activity, bustling around tables heaped with varieties of sweet and savory foods and indulging in the countless barrels that ring the area, full of wine. In one corner, the minstrels have already taken up a lively tune and the dancing has begun.

I watch the revelers in their merriment, my heart lightening slightly, despite the heaviness that still weighs in my chest. Blissful joy is reflected in each of their eyes as they spin and mingle around me, turning their gaze periodically skyward, their faces awash with silver light.

I follow their uplifted gaze now, a small gasp passing my lips at the sight that meets my eyes.

The night sky glows above my head, ablaze with pale fire. The distant lights of the Star-Kindler shine brighter tonight than on any other night of the year, glittering like frosty gems enmeshed in the dark heavens above, un-wavering and radiant.

I feel my chest tighten as my gaze sweeps to and fro, the wonder of it all overwhelming.

I had spent many years in Rivendell dreaming of the splendor of the Woodland Realm's Feast of Starlight, my imagination fueled by the spell-binding tales Elladan and Elrohir would bring back with them when they attended.

Now that I was here, their stories fell utterly short. Nor could my imagination have dreamt up something as enchanting as this. The celebrations of Rivendell and Lothlórien, though traditional and beloved, pale in comparison to the blessing that Varda Elentári bestowed upon this hidden corner of the Silvan's realm. The Valar-Queen's heavenly light seems to be bent entirely on this solitary haven of celebration, leaving the surrounding forest and world as an afterthought, deep in shadow.

I lower my gaze back to the revelers on the earth, a flicker of movement in the corner of my vision drawing my eye.

My heart jumps as Legolas enters the courtyard, clad in royal green and gold, and every bit as striking as the stars I had just watched. His unbound hair shimmers like spun silver in the white light, his pale eyes aglow with the reflection of the flickering heavens.

I study him as his face turns skyward, a faint smile touching his lips at the sight. He appears as enraptured with the distant lights as I had been, and yet, I think to myself, illuminated by the cold light he could almost be a star on earth himself.

I blush at my own thoughts, turning my gaze away before he can catch me staring.

I don't need his attention on me tonight. It will be hard enough to present a cheerful attitude while mourning is still heavy in my chest without adding the complicated emotions Legolas awakens in me to the mix. The last few nights I'd spent with him had been simple, barely any words passing between us. I'd come to his rooms and he'd hold me against him until I'd fall asleep, lulled by the steady beating of his heart. It was calming to feel his presence beside me, a reassurance that I wasn't alone. I haven't had the will to ponder on what it meant.

Weaving my way in and out of the revelers, I train my gaze on the wide array of food in the courtyard, ignoring the whispering in my head that prods me to look back.

I manage to select myself a delicate-looking pastry without giving in but when I inevitablely seek him out again a few moments later, I find his eyes already focused on me.

His lips are slightly parted, eyes wide as they dip down the length of my dress and up to my face again. Heat floods my cheeks, my pulse accelerating at the intensity of his gaze. I give him a shy smile in greeting, a corner of his mouth lifting in reply, though I notice the slight blush now coloring his cheeks as well.