Ch 2 ~ Creatures of Mirkwood

Two days have passed since I climbed that tree to figure out where we were. Two days and still no sight of the Woodland Realm. I am beginning to grow impatient. I am getting sick of this forest. Our horses trot along the forest floor, stirring up the leaves, creating a stir in the silent forest.

"You'd think a forest with elves inhabiting it would be nicer." I mutter looking around and thinking of my grandmother's Realm.

Lothlórien is the most beautiful place in all of Middle Earth and compared to it, Mirkwood needs a little polishing up.

"Don't be rude." Elladan chides. "You're just used to the splendor of Lórien, considering how much time you spend there. In fact, Mirkwood is quite nice... although it could use a little more light."

"Aha see? Key word: Light." I say. "Lothlórien's full of it. You're used to it just as much as I am."

He scowls.

"Will you two be quiet?" Elrohir hisses. "You're going to attract all the 'not so nice' things in this forest."

I laugh at his worry. "Like what?"

He freezes and points up.

"Like that."

I look up to see hundreds of giant spiders descending from the trees on thickly spun webs.

"Time to leave!" I shout and urge my horse to pick up the pace.

I can hear my brothers' horses running behind me but I do not look back. I reach for my bow but quickly rethink it. There are too many. We would have to outrun them.

So I run.

~~~

"Elladan? Elrohir?"

I had lost my brothers during the chase. Worry eats at my insides.

I pray to Eru they're still alive.

I sit down and lean against a tree. It would do no good to wander around this forest and get lost. I must reach the Woodland Realm and ask for their help. They surely know this damned forest better than I do. I get up and brush my pants off.

And that's when I hear it. The smallest rustle in the tree above me. I whirl around and come face to face with an arrow pointed at me. An elf is on the other end, her grey eyes looking at me. She smiles.

"Good morning. You're coming with me." She says.

"Excuse me?" I reply, annoyed.

"I said you're coming with me" she says more sternly.

"And where exactly will we be going?" I ask, skeptical.

"Why, isn't it obvious?" She smirks. "To the halls of the Woodland King of course."

And then everything goes black.