Ch 45 ~ Farewell Promises

The front.

My blood runs cold, my mind conjuring up memories of the chaos of a battlefield; the clash of metal, the smell of blood.

The faces of those who never came home.

I shut my eyes against the images.

"Is the situation really so severe?" I ask quietly.

When he doesn't immediately answer, I lay my palm against his cheek, bringing his downcast gaze to meet mine again. "Tell me, Legolas."

His eyes are dark as he shakes his head.

"My father does not know yet. He just needs me there." A pause. "My soldiers need me there."

I chew on my lip, thoughts running wild in my head as my fingers pick nervously at the hemline of my sleeves.

The faster these orcs are dealt with, the faster I leave here and journey home to-

My train of thought stumbles.

I don't know what I'll do when I return. My mother is gone.

Do I even want to leave?

"Celé?"

Legolas' voice snaps me back to the present and I shove the thought out of my mind. I'll deal with that question later.

"I'm coming with you."

The tenderness previously in his expression instantly flees it, his mouth drawing into a firm line.

"Absolutely not."

Surprise races through me, his denial sending a pang through my chest but I keep still, reluctant to show it. "And why not?"

"My father insists that you are still under his protection. He won't let you leave."

A sharp retort jumps to my tongue but Legolas cuts me off.

"Save your breath, princess," he interjects with a bitter grin. "I've already argued with him. His mind is made up."

I glare. "I'm a trained warrior, Legolas. I don't have to be coddled."

My voice comes out more harshly than I intend it to, and Legolas notices. His eyes soften and taking my hand, he draws me back into his embrace.

"Even so," he murmurs, brushing a lock of hair back from my face. "I would rather you stay here. Where it's safe."

His words send warmth blooming throughout my body, my anger dissolving in its wake and I let him draw me into his embrace. I breath in his scent, a mix of cinnamon and pine, letting it calm me.

"I have every reason to join your fight, you know," I whisper against his chest. "The orcs are keeping me from getting home."

His body stiffens.

"You-" A pause. "You still want to leave as soon as possible?"

I lift my head, meeting his gaze. "Well... yes. I miss my family."

"I just thought..." he falters, his eyes turning downcast.

He is silent, seeming to struggle with himself, brow furrowed as if in deep thought.

But then the shadow passes and he shakes his head. "It's nothing."

I study him. He refuses to meet my inquisitive gaze.

"You're a terrible liar," I say with a grin.

A small smile tugs at his lips.

"Nothing's wrong, Celé." Taking my hands in his, he presses a kiss against my knuckles. "Trust me."

His eyes are clear now, honest and pleading. His gaze is so certain that I find myself giving him a nod.

He smiles and whatever doubt I might have still had melts away as he pulls me in for a kiss. I wind my hands into his hair, tugging him closer, dreading the moment when we must part.

He pulls away too soon but the lingering of his touch against my back tells me he'd take much longer if he had the time. I rest my forehead against his.

"Come back to me," I breathe, my hands still locked behind his neck, reluctant to let go.

He smiles as he trails a thumb along my cheek. "Always."

~~~

When we enter the great hall again, the squadron is already stationed to depart. I spot Nëniel and Tauriel lined up among them, Tauriel now wearing her sister's former bronze armor and standing at the head of the group. With a nod from Legolas she barks out the order and the heavy gates begin to creak apart. Shouldering his pack, he simply joins her at the front of the group.

As he's about to step out, his eyes find mine in the crowd. They're bright with hope, and in them sparks his promise.

I'll return. Wait for me.

I watch his figure as it draws farther and farther away, until it is lost in the sea of armor, and the heavy gates draw shut.

And for the first time since arriving in the Woodland Realm, I am truly alone.