Ch 10 ~ Memories

I step into my rooms and immediately stop to gape in awe at the luxury that surrounds me. My suite is made of many adjoining rooms, all walled with deep brown wood that gleams, each entrance a wide spiraling archway. I make my way through the separate rooms, stopping to admire each one. The initial one is very large, the floor covered in a lush emerald green carpet, adorned with golden embroidery. On the walls hang thick tapestries, depicting multiple scenes of nature, varying in color, but each one brushing the floor with golden tassels. There is a plush sofa in the center of the room, surrounded by armchairs, all with the same dark brown wooden frame, but covered with deep blue velvet pillows. A broad fireplace is in the wall across from the door, its mantle made of polished ebony stone.

I step into the next room, to the left of the entrance room, and take a quick look around. Slightly smaller than the first, it is a bedroom, with wide windows and thick curtains of deep red. The bed in the center of the room is large enough to hold two people with extra room and is covered in heavy blankets in preparation for the fast-approaching winter. There is a large silver oval mirror on the wall to the right of the bed, across from the windows, with a small vanity below it, a circlet placed on its surface. I walk up to the vanity and smile as I pick up the circlet and fix it onto my head, reclaiming the piece of home that had been taken away from me when I was first brought to the palace. I look into the mirror, my features reminding me of my mother, complete with her circlet placed atop my head.

A light through the next door catches my eye and I walk across the room to another doorway leading into an adjoined bathroom covered with marble surfaces. A marble washtub sits on the far end and a shelf filled with sweet smelling bath salts and soaps is placed in the wall above it. I ache to toss off my clothes and soak my body in a hot bath but I want to explore the rest of my suite first.

Stepping back through my bedroom, I walk into the large entrance room again and make my way to the doorway to it's right. I step through it and realize with quiet joy that it opens into a large balcony with an elaborate wooden rail snaking along its edge. I glance down at the forest floor far beneath me and then angle my head up, gazing at the canopy of trees stretching above. The sun has set and the stars can be seen peeking through the leaves of the foliage, glimmering white lights amidst the rich dark blue of the night sky. I lean on the railing, hugging my arms around myself, trying to cast out the nights cool chill. Staying there for a few minutes, I gaze at the stars. Their soft white light reminds me of home, of the countless nights I spent stargazing with my mother as she pointed out the various patterns the lights made in the dark sky. A sad smile ghosts across my lips as the thought stirs deep in my memory.

I haven't seen my mother in over three months. She was still missing when I departed from Rivendell, and despite the countless search parties my father had sent out looking, there was no sign of her.

She is probably dead.

I bristle and cast the thought out of my mind as quickly as it had entered it. I would not believe it. She had to be out there. Somewhere.

I realize the hot tears trailing down my cheeks and quickly wipe them away. I will not mourn someone who is not dead.

She is not dead.

I sigh and shiver, drawing my arms around myself. The cold air is starting to get to me. Making my way inside, I begin to undo the tight braid in my blonde hair, letting my fingers loosen the plait. I shake my head, my now-loose hair cascading down my back in a river of gold and make my way to the other side of my chambers. Taking a deep breath, I try to relax.

I am going to take a nice, hot bath.