Ch 7 ~ The Prince

I stand in the middle of the chamber, head bowed as I test out the balance of my blade. The sword is not perfectly crafted and a little rusty. I suspect it is used for training children. It'll have to do.

I raise my eyes to the King, asking a silent question but find emptiness in his cold eyes. They provide no answer. The silence is broken when Tauriel rushes in, announcing the Prince's arrival and answering my inquiry. I turn my head to her and mask my look of surprise as my eyes find the Prince. He is decked in armour and armed to the teeth. But it is his eyes that draw me to him. Those blue eyes that taunted me in my cell only a day before. The memory of the arrogant Princeling who thought he could beat me even when in my cell makes my blood pound as I stare at him. He stares back at me, his blue eyes just as cold as before.

My lips curl into a fierce smile.

Oh yes, I should have no problem at all.

Walking over, he stands beside me, facing his father. I push the memories out of my mind and look up at the King, raising an eyebrow.

"You give me one sword and no armour." I shrug my rusted sword at him. "And yet here is your son, dressed like a general on a war front."

I laugh, eyes glinting madly. "Just how afraid of me are you?"

He leans forward, holding my dangerous gaze unflinchingly.

"That's the point," he whispers, and his eyes turn dark. "How afraid of you should we be?"

~~~

We round the corner of the dim hall and the sparring area opens up around us. I barely notice it as I seethe with silent anger. Twisting my blade in my hand a couple times, I tilt my head to look at the prince. He senses my gaze and the edge of his mouth pulls into a smirk. I scowl.

"Why are you going through with this?" I hiss up at him, my eyes flashing. "You know who I am, I've already bested you once before."

He looks down at me disapprovingly.

"I follow my father's commands, not yours," he replies coolly.

"And besides," he flashes me a grin. "Let's see you do it again."

I chuckle darkly at his cheeky attitude, shaking my head.

"Someone is eager to be humiliated again, this time publicly. The first time I did, I was behind bars and weapon-less." I flash him a fiendish smirk. "Do you really want to know what I'm capable of now?"

From somewhere at the side lines, King Thranduil orders us to begin.

I take my stance and he mirrors me, our blades at the ready.

"Show me what you're worth," he growls, low enough for only me to hear. "Celebríel."

Oh, my dear Princeling.

A wicked grin splits my face.

You've just let a lioness out of her cage.

The world fades into nothing as the duel begins.