unauthorised visits (edited)

IN THE CENTRE OF THE ROOM, a bright orange ember soon erupted into a whirlwind of amber flame, that quickly died out in a puff of dark smoke, revealed a flustered Sera standing in its place.

"Oh praise Hecate you're safe, it's been too long," Zelda exclaimed, rushing to greet the angel whom she had grown very fond of whilst she had lived with them following her exile. "Sabrina, Ambrose, Hilda, our niece has returned!"

"Hecate?" Sera asked,

"Well dove, we didn't think that it was fitting to worship the Dark Lord after... everything." Hilda said, taking her into her arms.

After finding out he planned to enslave their realm. After imprisoning him.

"And why not me?" Sera teased, feigning offence.

Zelda scoffed, "Your ego is too big as it is, Sera."

She rolled her eyes, biting back a laugh. "Thanks, Aunt Zee."

"Cousin!" Ambrose greeted happily, pulling her into a quick hug, "Do tell me, how is hell?"

The angel let out a slight chuckle, "That is a whole other conversation, and I suggest we all sit down for it," There was a hint of something in her vice Ambrose couldn't put his finger on, something between annoyance and sadness, it seemed. "Brina it's good to see you again," She smiled, pulling her in for a hug,

"Are you okay after you know... Herod?" The witch asked,

Sera nodded, "My ego is severely bruised, but I'll live," She chuckled. "Was the oil of any use?"

"Using it under the night of the hare moon it may just give us enough charge to restore our waning magic," Zelda answered, seemingly eager to change the subject.

"Do want some tea, love?" Hilda fussed, "And I've just made some muffins if you'd like one?"

Sera smiled, "Please, auntie."

She'd missed this. Their company, their home.

"Have you been sleeping okay?" Hilda asked, "Any nightmares?"

Sera shook her head, "It's been fine."

It had been far from fine. But she didn't want to burden them further. Her last goodbye should have been forever. She shouldn't keep coming back to the mortal realm, sneaking visits. The longer she clung to this place, this town, this house, these people, the harder it would be to let go, to forget them. And it would make it harder for them to forget her.

She sighed, "I know I shouldn't keep coming back, but I... I miss you all. Everything's so different there, in Hell."

"Oh dove, you'll always be welcome here." Hilda hummed, plating up her muffins.

Sera smiled softly to herself, taking the seat at the table where she had always eaten. Her chair. "Do you remember the prince I told you about?" Sera asked,

"Caliban?" Ambrose questioned, "The prince who left us to Herod?"

Sera grimaced, "Yes, him." She said, "He's uhm, he was made from the clay of the pit- it's a long story, but he told me last night that his soul was... tethered to mine through whatever spell turned him to flesh, I guess sort of like-"

"Soulmates?" Sabrina finished her tone more of a question.

Sera nodded. "But he's just confusing everything, I- I mean, these trials are to the death. I don't want to kill him but the only other way out is, well... marriage."

"Marriage?" Ambrose asked, "You saw him, Sera. He left you to die with Herod. He's not the kind of man you want to marry."

She sighed, taking a bite of her muffin. "I know," She murmured, "But he's not the kind of man that I want to kill either."