revenge (edited)

I DON'T KNOW HOW LONG IT'S BEEN. The days bleed into moths down here. I don't know if Caliban will ever come for me. I don't know when I started hoping that he would.

But there is nothing, down here. No food, no light, no company.

Just darkness and solitude.

I feel that void where my power had once been, that part of me that now lies dormant, empty. It aches to be filled.

My wrists are bloody.

I've been blindly picking at those shackles until my fingers cannot move. I know it'll do no good, but the pain keeps insanity at bay.

I wonder if my family are alive. I wonder perhaps if Caliban is. If Lucifer is. I wonder if Hell has ten circles, or only nine.

I hope Caliban will come. I hope he will be back for me, like he promised.

My hatred has faded down here. It's given way to nothing but numbness.

I just want to be free.

And then I see it. Light. Like an oasis in a desert. 

I think for a moment that my final shreds of sanity have deserted me, that I'm simply hallucinating. But then that glimmer of light blooms into flame.

Beautiful, deadly flame.

The brightness of it stings my eyes. I have become a creature of darkness and solitude. I recoil from that brightness, yet I relish it all the same.

And he stands before me, just as I remembered him when I pictured that face, that beautiful, perfect face.

"Caliban." My voice is raw. It has been so long since I last spoke that I don't even recognise the sound of it.

He drops to his knees before me. His face is streaked with blood, his or another's I cannot tell.

In the darkness, my hands blindly fumble for his. I hate him. I hate him so much it hurts, but I am so grateful that he came. That I can be free again.

His armour is dull, so are his eyes.

"Caliban what happened?" I ask. "My family, are they-"

"They live."

Those words ignite a hope in me. A foolish, rare hope. But hope.

"What happened?" I ask again, desperate for answers.

"I spared you Greendale." He says. As though that is enough.

But for just a moment it is. For a moment, all I can think of is how thankful I am that my family are alive. Even if others are not.

"Why?" I'm not so sure if I want to know the answer but I ask non the less.

"Because when I was out there," He says, "Slaughtering and destroying and fighting all I could think of was you. The look on your face when you understood what I had done. And I realised I could not bare to see you look at me like that again when you discovered that the people you loved were dead. Were slaves to me. And it terrifies me, Sera. It terrifies me that I don't feel good or strong for taking over the earth. I only feel guilt and regret. Because of you. Because I know that it isn't what you want."

I don't know what to say to him. I don't know what to do, so I just grasp his hands tighter, I just think about him before me now, solid, real and I try not to sob. I let him take me into his arms. I don't care that I'm starved or half-rotted or look like I'm on the brink of death. I can't think of any of those menial things that I fixated on only moments ago. All I can think of is him. "I hate you," I whisper, trying to convince myself of that more than him. "You're a traitor."