AFTER

LOVING HIM WAS LIKE A SHARD OF GLASS. I'd bleed for an eternity as long as I could hold him. The cuts no longer mattered. The wounds closed themselves when he was mine. He was was like a knife and a bandage. The pain and the antidote.

"You chose me." I whispered, watching as the sand slipped through my fingers. "You chose me over your purpose."

"You chose me first," Caliban said. "A long time ago. I think we were both just too blind to see it."

I smiled to myself, watching the black waves roll in though the darkness. "What now?" I asked him. "Where do we go?"

"I know a place." He told me. "I have a house, not far from here. Right on the beach. We wait. We gather allies."

"And then we take back what was stolen from us?"

He nodded.

"I'm going kill all of them. Every Angel who hurt you. Every Angel who saw what they did and did nothing. And I will gift you their realm and make you queen of the heavens, the earth, and hell."

His fingers intertwined with mine, and I moved to rest my head against his shoulder.

That was the most beautiful and devastating moment of my life. When I finally saw the world in colour, rather than shades of grey. When I realised the hole in my heart I once thought could only be filled by that throne had been filled a long time ago. When I realised the world wasn't as ugly and terrible as I had always believed.

Though I suppose if you are born in a burning house you will always believe the rest of the world is on fire. That moment felt like stepping outside and leaving those flames behind. Like seeing the world for the first time.

"I've only known pain my whole life." I murmured, "has the world always been this beautiful?"

"Breathtaking." He told me. But his eyes were on mine. And he was looking at me like I was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen.