Chapter Five

And they were still in lockout. Like what the fuck. How bad was this shit that they were still in lockout, twenty minutes after the bell rang.

Dream managed to run off into the library and he sat on a couch when he heard light footsteps walking towards him. When he looked up, Karl and George were almost right in front of him.

"Dream!" George said. "How'd you get out here? The teachers aren't allowing us out of our classrooms."

"Okay, well, how did you get out here?" Dream parroted.

George scoffed. "True. Karl and I got out when the teacher wasn't looking."

Dream said, "Same, but I also have biology and Mr. Saratov doesn't give a shit about anything."

When he stood up and padded over to the windows, his eyes widened.

Police cars were parked around the front of the school, illuminating the shadows of the trees and he saw officers talking to what looked like administrators.

George and Karl watched out the window from beside him, their own eyes wide and jaws slightly dropped.

"Holy hell," Karl whispered. "What even happened?"

Dream didn't respond. Instead, he pulled his phone out of his pocket, and scrambled to unlock it and click on Corpse's contact, calling him.

"Dream?" George asked gently, confused.

"C'mon, c'mon, c'mon," Dream whispered through gritted teeth.

Corpse finally answered. "Dream! Have you seen outside?"

"I—yeah, I have. Where are you?"

"I got out when Mr. Saratov wasn't looking and I looked outside through some windows. I'm in the bathroom right now. What the fuck happened?"

Dream ignored George and Karl's eyes on him curiously. "You know what. Do you know who? 'Cause they weren't fucking slick about it."

He heard Corpse sigh on the opposite side. "No, goddamnit. But now we're stuck in lockout 'cause of a murder too close to the school and who knows, we could go into lockdown if they figure out the murderer is probably in the school."

"Damnit. Okay, bye, see you in a bit."

The call ended seconds later.

Karl tilted his head. "Is... is everything okay, Dream?"

Dream breathed loudly through his nose. "Yup, everything's great."

———

Another twenty minutes passed and a voice rang through the school, stating that the lockout had lifted.

Dream breathed a sigh a relief and texted Corpse as he climbed into his car, quickly getting out of the parking lot before his other friends saw him.

He drove quickly and soon arrived at the edge of the forest. He parked, hopping out of his car and walking over to Corpse, who leaned against a tree, blending in with the shadows because of his black clothing.

Corpse looked up. "Ready?"

Dream scoffed. "Yeah no, not tonight. I'm tired as hell and I just want to sleep."

Corpse grinned, canines already elongating. "Well, welcome to the life of a werewolf."

Dream grinned back, teeth becoming too big for his mouth.

As werewolves, they could shift into wolf form at any time they want, unless the full moon struck, and drunk from her beauty, any werewolf would automatically begin to shift, unless, of course, they were already in wolf form.

So, that's what Dream and Corpse were going to do, shift in case a full moon decided to find her way between the clouds. There hasn't been one in a while.

Dream dropped onto hands and knees. Fur sprouted upon his skin as claws grew from his hands and his mouth elongated into a snout. His senses sharpened and he could suddenly smell and hear too many things.

He sneezed as his transformation finished and he glanced over at Corpse with shattered hazel and green eyes.

He himself was a gray wolf. The biggest typical wolf, but as a werewolf, all wolves were enormous, bigger than the animal. Corpse was black, eyes dark as shadows and fur no different.

Corpse huffed and flicked his tail, disappearing into the maze of trees. Dream followed, ducking his head as he entered beneath the branches.

Soon after, he split off, shoving gently into Corpse as a form of good luck as they looked for a feast tonight.

His paws landed soundlessly on the soft ground as he raised his head, breathing in any scent he could find.

Either he could go for a human or animal.

Animals were easy, humans were exciting.

He found himself traveling along the woods of Sapnap's house. Curiously, he continued in the direction, wondering if Sapnap was in his backyard.

A few minutes later, Dream crouched down, stomach barely grazing the dirt as he peeked out from the bushes, narrow eyes on Sapnap's house.

The boy was sitting outside his house, alongside George.

Dream strained his ears to catch a glimpse of their conversation, but they spoke too quietly.

He darted away when one of the two looked in his direction.

Now, to find some food.

He continued his trek, sniffing every few seconds in hope of finding something.

And he suddenly smelt it. A human scent.

He sped up his pace and headed in the direction of the smell. Finally, he could see a young girl sitting near the forest, no older than eight. She held a stuffed dog in her hands that caused Dream's heart to strain.

Fuck. I can't kill her, can I?

Don't even try to fight with yourself Dream. Leave it and find someone else.

He snarled silently and turned away, trotting underneath the low-hanging branches as he searched for someone else. Someone older, so he didn't have to feel any guilt. Normally, he didn't feel anything--until it came to young boys and girls.

He hadn't noticed how dark it had gotten. The moon wasn't out yet, but she was fighting with the sun as the clouds swam through the purple and blue seas. Birds sang their sleepy songs, lulling other forest creatures to sleep, and luring the midnight breeze into wake.

Dream traveled silently but quickly in search for his meal. It had gotten colder, the birds' songs finding victory as the breeze appeared and tickled his skin beneath his thick mass of fur.

He disappeared into the trees, hiding himself in order to stay clear of some stranger walking by.

Or even worse, his friends.