Chapter Fourteen

"What the fuck," Dream gasped. He was frozen in shock, jaw dropped.

A whole wall of bookshelves was filled to the brim with books of mythological and supernatural creatures. Vampires, hellhounds, ghosts. Anything.

And, werewolves.

There were tons and tons of books fully on werewolves. As Dream crept closer, he noticed an entire section was filled with books about them.

When Dream spun around, a desk was in front of him. It was covered in papers and notebooks with pages filled to the very end.

Spinning around once again caused his heart to stutter. A board with pins, pictures, string connecting those things, writing, sticky notes, and paper.

But, on those papers, written on those notes, in those pictures, were people from Winterfest Highschool, a lot of them being from their lunch table, and a lot of them, being about him.

Karl was onto something.

Or he had already figured it out.

A picture of him hung about a few sticky notes.

Acting strange

Not answering calls during the night

Weird eyes? Teeth?

Heightened senses?

Dream read everything over and over again, still not believing his eyes.

He wasn't the only one with a secret.

Sticky notes were put beneath his friends who were also werewolves. Corpse, Wilbur.

But so far, nothing beneath Ranboo and Techno.

"You're awake."

Dream spun, already jittery from what the hell he just found out.

Karl was leaning against the doorframe. "So, you found what I've been hiding."

Dream spoke carefully, "B-but why hide it though?"

"Because no one's going to believe me. And like, seriously, you guys are on that board! I'm scared you guys might hate me or get mad at me," Karl said, walking up to Dream.

"I'm not... I'm not mad at you. Just... surprised, and curious," Dream said softly.

"What's with the supernatural shit and accus- no, guesses?" He asked.

Karl shrugged. "I dunno, honestly. Like you said, guesses. It's just... some of you guys—you included—act strange and seem strange and I just want to put everything together."

Dream narrowed his eyes, gaze still pinned onto the board as he continued reading. "This all you have in here? Or are you hiding something inside this off-limits room?"

"Well... there's this." A sound of what sounded like some sort of metal reverberated off the room walls.

Dream spun, already knowing what it was. His eyes widened and he visibly spooked, bouncing away from what Karl held in his hands.

A silver bullet. A silver knife.

Karl frowned. "What?"

If Karl hadn't found out before, he definitely did now.

"Keep- keep those things away from me," Dream snarled, taking small steps backwards.

His teeth were bared and instinctively, he began a slight transformation without thinking. His teeth grew sharper, nails as well. His senses heightened and his hair grew longer.

Usually, he was never frightened, because nothing else could hurt him.

Karl's mind worked like clockwork as he put everything together. "You- you're a—"

"Yeah, I'm a werewolf," Dream said, a growl still vibrating deep in his chest. "Might be shocking, I'm aware. But please, get those fucking things away from me."

Shocked, Karl barely moved an inch, except for a few fucking steps forward. "All my assumptions, my guesses, they're true?"

"Yes!" Dream's back slammed into the wall. "Goddamnit, yes they're true! But please, put those fucking things down."

Finally, Karl did. He raised his hands, giving his palms to Dream's view.

"Okay, okay," he said. "I did. See? They're on the table."

Still trembling with sudden fear and adrenaline. Dream lowered his lip and allowed himself to pull away from the transformation.

Yet, he kept his back pressed against the wall.

"That can't be true," Karl muttered. "Like, I'm only guessing!"

Dream narrowed his eyes. "Well, can I give you proof? You're probably going to hate me."

"Fine," Karl said. "Prove to me, because there's no way, but I also don't want to think I'm going crazy."

Dream gripped Karl's wrist and began leading him upstairs, outside, and to the forest. "Oh trust me, you're not."

———

When they arrived, Dream looked at Karl carefully. "Can you promise me to not freak out too much?"

Karl frowned. "Okay, um, I don't really think you're kidding anymore, but I'll try, no promises."

Dream breathed deeply. He backed away and began the transformation.

Fur sprouted along his back, his nose elongated, his ears shifted to the top of his head, his hands began claws and he fell onto four muscular legs.

Karl's jaw was agape. "Holy-"

Dream grumbled deep in his chest. He pushed himself onto his hind legs and stretched, yawning.

"So, you're not lying," Karl finally said. His voice quivered.

Dream shook his furry head.

"Can you speak?"

Dream shook his head again and opened his mouth to let out a drawn-out huff.

Karl then perked with an idea. "Okay, so you're a werewolf, which is like a scary, supernatural, human-like wolf, which is kind of like a dog. So if I throw a stick, will you try to chase it?"

Dream shifted, shrinking right back to his normal size. "I don't know why that's the first thing you thought of but don't, don't you fucking dare. I'll look so stupid. But in all seriousness. Please, don't tell the others."

"But-"

"No. Okay? This is what I fucking fear. I'm scared I'll lose you guys once you find out. You, so far, are okay, because you had theories, but I don't know about the others."

Karl sighed, "Okay, fine. Fine."

Silence struck them until Karl said, "Now, shift back."

"Why?"

"'Cause. Just do it."

Curious, Dream as he was told.

"Now... Fetch, you idiot!" Karl threw a stick into the trees and Dream immediately jerked, but he managed to stop himself and growl at Karl.

Karl shrugged innocently. "I know you want to."

Dream growled again and let out a huff before dropping onto all fours and racing through the trees, sniffing for a stick with Karl's scent on it.

Okay, so Karl was okay with it, but what about everyone else?