The Nutcracker

"I'm so sorry."

Ladybug and Chat Noir landed on their usual rooftop and launched into their apologies, both running towards the other..

"I'm sorry, why are you sorry?" They continued to speak at the same time, the look of bewilderment on each other's faces.

"Hold up," Chat said, holding his hands up, "lady's first."

"I went away and forgot to let you know, I asked Rena to pass on a message but she said there were no akuma's so she never saw you. I'm so sorry for not letting you know."

"Don't worry, little bug, I've been away myself. Ruuyko was meant to pass on the message to you too, but, same reason."

He walked over to his partner and scooped her into a hug, it didn't take her long to respond as she wrapped her arms around his waist and squeezed him tight.

"Ouch!" He whimpered, and she let out a giggle. "You know sometimes, M'Lady, you can be quite mean."

"I take offence to that," she laughed, letting him go and pulling out her yo-yo. "Do you want to patrol and then perhaps we can hang out for a bit? I don't feel like I've seen you in weeks."

"That's because you haven't Bugaboo." They stood smiling at each other as they prepared their weapons. "First to the Arc de Triomphe?"

Ladybug didn't answer, instead she sent her yo-yo in the air and began to fly through Paris using the rooftops to accelerate her speed. All Chat could do was watch her. He needed tonight, he needed to see her. Ladybug always made him feel better, especially when he was in a slump, and at the moment he was in a deep slump.

Since he'd returned from the Alps he noticed Marinette had distanced herself from him. He messaged her, attempted to see her at the bakery, and even asked Nathalie for dates and times she would be in the office, but it seemed she was avoiding him and he couldn't help the sheer panic that he'd done something wrong. Something that had annoyed her.

Finally, getting his brain to react with his body, he took his baton and launched himself into the Parisian skyline, blending in with the dark shadows of the night and moving stealthy in the direction Ladybug had just taken off.

As he travelled along the rooftops, he noticed the 'Tom and Sabine Bakery' and noted that Marinette's light was off. He froze opposite and stared over at the room he knew she owned. He stood for a few seconds wishing the light would turn on, that she would appear on the balcony and beckon him over. She liked Chat Noir, she'd speak to him, unlike what she did to Adrien.

He let out a sigh, and continued on his way. Perhaps he could come back another night? Maybe she would accept him with open arms and lead him into her room, and maybe into her heart. He couldn't stop thinking about her. Her dark hair and bright blue eyes, the way she made him feel when she was around. She had made such an impact on him so quickly he swore he'd lost his footing on the ground and was plummeting. Plummeting so fast the only way he'd stop would be to hit rock bottom.

Lost in his thoughts, he ran right past Ladybug only to be pulled back to her by her yo-yo.

"Woah! Where were you off to?"

Chat collapsed by her side as she retracted the yo-yo string from around him and placed it back on her hip.

"Sorry," he said, rubbing at the back of his neck, "I was lost in thought."

"What to share?"

"Um - I would but it'd probably be towing the line of an identity reveal."

Chat looked out into the Paris night, listening to the cars honking in anger, people talking and singing in joy and lights twinkling like hidden secrets. His mind began to wander again and he wondered what she was doing right now, at this very moment.