𝟎𝟏. 𝐅𝐥𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐌𝐨𝐭𝐨𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐤𝐞

━ ✧ ❀ ✧ ━

"Your granddaughter's a shy one, isn't she? With that head a' black of hers, she could blend into the shadows, haha!"

"Mm... I'm really worried about her, Magnolia. All the other children have already formed circles and play with the Pokémon. What can I do to ease her fear and encourage her?"

"Well, my Sonia is the easy-to-get-along-with type—why don't I introduce the two? Ah, and there's that rascal Postwick boy she fights with..."

"F-fight?"

"Heh! I say that, but they are more like rivals than enemies. Anyways, I think their combined energy could do some good for your little girl. How about it?"

━ ✧ ❀ ✧ ━

Beams of the morning's first light penetrated the permanent layer of smoke blanketing Motostoke, the brick-layered and shaded City of Steam, illuminating the already busy streets down below. The sound of gears grinding and pipes whistling filled the air, a comforting sound to Motostoke's residents, as it was assurance that the city was operating well. Construction workers sang cheery tunes as some of them slipped into Yoshida's Coffee for a cup of Joe (or two), and countless families walked around, essentially tourists as they awaited the day of the Galar League's upcoming Gym Challenge opening ceremony, which was set to take place in Motostoke Stadium this year.

Ah, yes—the Gym Challenge. It was responsible for the increased number of patrons to Lilias's Blooms, the humble flower shop situated at the lower level of the steam city, right across from Yoshida's. The shop's owner and eponym didn't quite understand what flowers have to do with the Gym Challenge (after all, wouldn't the Poké Mart be a better place for Pokémon Trainers to spend their money?), but as long as business is doing good, she turned a blind eye.

"Eldegoss, use Growth!"

"Eldeee~!"

A warm, shimmering glow swelled and burst from within the confines of the small shop, leaving a sweet smell in its wake as sprout after sprout grew in their pots, twirling and unfurling their now vibrant petals. The customers—a little girl and her grandmother—watched in awe, clapping and snapping pictures.

"I love flower Pokémon!" the little girl squealed, tugging on the hem of her grandmother's skirt. "Can I get one? Pleaseee?"

Lilias chuckled as she finished wrapping up the bouquet of daisies the pair had ordered, watching as the little girl's grandmother tried to get her to settle down. She personally wouldn't consider Eldegoss to be a flower Pokémon—Gossifleur, sure, but not her bundle of cotton. That didn't mean she was going to ruin such a sparkling youth's fun, however.

"Here is your order, ma'am—a bouquet of daises!" she smiled, handing over the bundle of sun-centered white blooms. They had a refreshing, crisp scent to them, the kind of smell you'd expect from a stereotypical fantasy forest.

Hm...did Glimwood Tangle smell like that?

"Oh, thank you dear!" the elderly woman smiled, taking the bouquet. She then handed over the money—exact change—kneeling afterwards to let her granddaughter have a look at the bright flowers.

"I always bring flowers home," she shared, chuckling as her little charge sneezed after taking a whiff, "on special days or even normal days. My Pokémon love the scent of flowers so much...and I guess my granddaughter does, too!"