𝟎𝟓. 𝐑𝐞𝐮𝐧𝐢𝐨𝐧...𝐢𝐧 𝐌𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐖𝐚𝐲𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐧 𝐎𝐧𝐞

━ ✧ ❀ ✧ ━

"Lilias dear, it's not getting too hot over there, is it? Keep Leon company for me while I go set up your flowers!"

Said person could only nod as Hop and Leon's mother ran back into the house, her eyes following the fleeing form helplessly. The smell of seasoned meat permeated the air as streams of smoke rose to the sky, curling and spinning like translucent candy floss. After a bit, Lilias reluctantly peeled her eyes away from the house, shooting a nervous glance at the person beside her, who was manning the grill.

Just how did things get to this point?

"...So, my mum was one of your customers," Leon suddenly spoke up, his hair—which he had since done up into a ponytail—bouncing as he flipped over a sizzling slab of meat. "What a coincidence, huh?"

"Hahaha..."

He got nothing more than a short laugh as a reply; a blanket of awkward silence quickly fell upon the two.

Lilias looked across the yard, where a middle-aged woman with braided brown hair was talking to (or scolding?) both Victor and Gloria. As Hop and Leon's mother had promised, her other customer did indeed show up—and that woman was her. She had already given her the last bouquet, and thus, technically had no more reasons to stay here.

"Um..."

And yet, despite feeling nervous and flighty, freaking out about bad luck and omens earlier, Lilias...didn't actually want to leave? Such complicated emotions—she didn't get it one bit.

"Hm? Did you say something?"

Leon had somehow heard her quiet call, tilting his head accordingly. He was happy that she was finally talking to him—the person she was right now was completely different from the young woman he'd met in the Galar Mine, and he was wondering if something had happened to her between then and now to elicit such a change.

...Or, maybe I'm the problem? He blinked. But—

"—I...I am sorry!"

Lilias's sudden outburst startled Leon out of his thoughts, and he stilled as she turned to face him, the force behind the movement impressing him despite his confusion. Her hands were firmly clasped in front of her and her face was flushed, her expression uncertain, but her resolve was there, born out of...somewhere.

"You...you are a good person, Champion Leon. Definitely," she uttered softly, her voice like a budding flower amidst the crackling of the grill. These words, though innocent in nature, hit like a shot in the dark, and said person nearly burnt himself as he swiveled to look at her, golden eyes widening.

"Where is this coming from...?" he asked. If she was trying to charm him, then it was working.

Lilias dipped her head; she was going to admit everything. "Truth be told...I am nervous. I don't know why, considering I wasn't really when we first met earlier today, but I am. I just wanted you to know that it is of no fault of your own—that it's all me."

He is going to think I'm strange now...

"Oh." Leon blinked at this. Was she...reassuring him? Being all transparent by explaining her behavior and blaming herself, all in such a formal tone... Who does that?

Regardless, Lilias interpreted the short answer negatively, and winced. However, after a beat of silence, a smile tugged at the Champion's lips.

"...You're an interesting person, Lilias," he chuckled, the warm tones eliciting a blush from said person. "You didn't have to tell me all of that."