𝟏𝟑. 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐆𝐲𝐦 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐧𝐠𝐞 𝐂𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐦𝐨𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐭. 𝟐

━ ✧ ❀ ✧ ━

An hour before the Gym Challenge Ceremony...
@ Budew Drop Inn

"You ready for today, Hop? You excited?"

Said person grunted in response, wrestling with his starched copy of the Challenger's uniform. And before anyone asks, no, it didn't come prepared like that—his mother, who wanted her son to look nice for the camera, thought it would be a good idea. However, as poor Hop was experiencing for himself, stiffening the fabric of sportswear, loose and comfortable clothes, defeats the purpose of that design.

"I will be," he managed to force his head out of the neck hole, "when I get this thing on...! Lee, help me please?!"

Leon chuckled, watching as his younger brother flopped around the room, trying to pull an arm through. He looked like a Magikarp. "Alright, alright! Stay still!"

Hop calmed down as his older brother approached, presence definitely too big for the cramped double room they were in. For the past two nights, the two had to share a bed while their mother took the other one for herself, which was when he noticed that Leon's legs would dangle way out of the queen-sized mattress.

Why didn't mum just pull the "My son's the Champion!" card and get us a luxury suite? Poor Lee's legs.

"Give me your arm. I'm going to bend it a little to get it through, okay?"

Hop nodded, doing as asked. He watched as Leon gently, but firmly pushed up a shirt sleeve, fighting through the starch like it was nothing before guiding his arm through the opened space. He repeated the process for the other arm just as easily, tugging the rest of the shirt down to finish the job.

"...And there you go. Looking good, little brother!" he grinned, shooting him a thumbs up.

"Thanks, Lee," Hop smiled back.

This was a rare moment.

Ever since Leon won the Gym Challenge that fateful day eleven years ago, their relationship has changed. When your older brother gets taken away from you by people wearing suits who speak in business, saying he is now the shining beacon of the Galar region, the one who will lead everyone to a new age, what do you do? When your older brother has to leave, followed by a train of cameras and microphones that won't let you go with, what do you do?

"Yeah. Don't know why mum would starch that..."

What can you do?

When you see your older brother grow up through the TV, rather than beside you, and when it's the same deal for him, seeing you grow up through pictures and video calls... What do you do, what can you do?

"Lee," Hop suddenly spoke up.

None of that is Leon's fault, though. And, he tries his best given his circumstances—he started visiting whenever he could as he got older, and he would call and send gifts.

"...You're a good big brother."

Leon blinked. He tilted his head like he always does whenever he's confused, raising an eyebrow. "Thanks," he smiled, "but where's this coming from...?"

Hop laughed, waving him off as he looked around for his shoes to complete the outfit. "From me—just take the compliment!"

*RING...! RING...! RING...!*

Suddenly, Leon's phone began to ring...from somewhere. Said person went to go find it, while Hop unearthed a pile of clothes near the laundry closet. Nope, no shoes. "Is it Sonia?" he called out. "You sent her your Dynamax Band to get it fixed after the Incident, right?"