𝟎𝟑. 𝐆𝐫𝐚𝐬𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐖𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐫

━ ✧ ❀ ✧ ━

Turffield was a small, agriculture-focused town, nestled within, as the signboard at the entrance stated, "the nurturing bowl of our many terraced farming fields." Life was slow there, but for the farmers and small families living there, that was just fine—preferred, really. They got just the right amount of excitement they needed from Milo and his gym, as well as the small amount of tourism the Turffield Geoglyph provided. A day where Milo chased after a runaway Wooloo or two (or even three) was a good one, indeed.

"Come on, let's battle! The Gym Challenge is starting soon—this'll be training for that!"

"No...that's precisely why I don't want to. Besides, I battle for fun. I don't want to be forced into it."

Two voices argued within Turffield Stadium, the Gym Trainers pretending not to listen as they tended to the Wooloo and hay bales for the gym's mission.

"Urgh, what's with that? Fine—this will be for fun! There, happy?"

Stocky feet stopped in their tracks, a deep sigh heaving from the large body they were attached to. A Gym Trainer opened the entrance door, letting in a draft that tousled a fluffy mop of peach.

"Nessa," the person clicked their tongue. "Why do you want to battle me so badly?"

The person in question, Nessa, Gym Leader of Hulbury (a seaport town not too far from Turffield), stiffened. She was a youthful beauty, her piercing blue eyes framed with thick, enviously long eyelashes and embellished with strokes of cobalt eyeshadow. Her dark blue hair had characteristic aqua-colored streaks running throughout, and she possessed a frame befitting that of a model—because she is one.

"Because," she started, furrowing her eyebrows as she placed emphasis on the word, "Milo—"

"—D-delivery! I'm sorry for being late...!"

Before she could finish her sentence, however, the entrance door swung open, and the Wooloo who were grazing nearby scattered as a dark-haired woman stumbled through.

"...Oh! Lilias!" Milo exclaimed, turning away from Nessa. He quickly made his way over to the weary florist, who had gone through so many things that he would never believe—not with a straight face and full belief, anyway.

Nessa watched as he fretted over Lilias, then gush over the bouquets as she took them out, the knot in her chest growing tighter with each action. Why does Milo need to buy flowers? she thought. They can be grown in Turffield...

If it wasn't already obvious, she liked Milo. That's why she kept insisting they battle—she had fun when they did, and enjoyed the feelings she got from it. But also, she didn't know how else to express her emotions to the big guy; love was confusing.

Either way, she didn't like the warning signs that flashed as she witnessed the scene in front of her. It sucks, seeing him smile at someone else like that. Did he like her? It wasn't like Nessa had the right to stop him if he did, and she didn't want to hate Lilias either—she didn't even know her, after all.

But, it hurt all the same.

"Oh? You are Nessa, right? It's an honor!"

Huh?

Said person stared blankly as Lilias suddenly approached, a big smile on her face. Milo tilted his head, just as confused.

"Me?" Nessa pointed to herself, angling her head downwards to meet the florist's gaze. Wow, she is short. "Are you a fan? Or..."

"Yes, quite so!" Lilias bobbed her head happily. She then chuckled, a look crossing her face as if she'd just remembered something. "But, ah, my good friend, Alette, is an even bigger fan than me. She would be so jealous if I told her I met you today, hahaha!"