𝟏𝟔. 𝐒𝐡𝐨𝐩𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐛𝐲 𝐍𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

━ ✧ ❀ ✧ ━

The fluorescent strip lights of the 24-hour supermarket took turns flickering as the flies sticking to them droned and followed, vast stretches of shelving units and refrigerators standing alone down below, nobody walking between them.

"There's nobody here," Lilias commented, the rattle of the shopping cart louder amidst the emptiness of the store as she paused. "I know it's late, but there's normally still a few people here and there."

Leon went ahead and confirmed that the place was indeed empty before returning, doffing his cap and face mask. "Well, to me, this is actually a good thing!" he beamed, his now-uncovered face flushed. "I can do without the stuffy disguise..."

The florist chuckled in response, reaching up to brush back a stray purple strand as he began to untie the bun he'd done in order to hide his hair under the hat. Leon's eyes widened, but he dipped his head in thanks.

"Right," she smiled.

The two then continued forward, paying attention to which aisle had the home and cleaning supplies.

.
.
.
.
.

It seems that all the workers (if there were any present) have stockroom-related things to do, because even after a couple minutes, no one came out to the floor. Normally, this would be a bad thing, but Lilias and Leon weren't looking for any help, so this was actually good for them.

"...So, you've been getting to know some of the Gym Leaders?" the Champion suddenly asked as Lilias was deciding which brand of dryer sheets to get. She looked up, raising an eyebrow.

"Oh, did Raihan tell you? We got to know each other after the Gym Opening Ceremony and exchanged numbers," she replied with a smile. "I have learned more about our Pokémon League since talking to him, so that is nice. Ah, and Milo is a patron of my shop—the best, in fact!"

Leon could only blink as he was fed this information. He knew that she and Raihan were familiar with each other because the Hammerlocke Gym Leader included a selfie of them together within a compilation fan photo post on Rotogram (and that's why he asked the question), but he didn't think that acquaintanceship extended to the point of exchanging texts.

And, he didn't even know about Milo.

"...Oh," he uttered after a pause, smiling awkwardly. The Champion knew it wasn't his business who Lilias socialized with, but to hear that Raihan was seemingly just as good of friends with her as he was in a shorter span of time made him feel...strange. Milo was fine—he helps out her business—but how did Raihan connect with her so fast, so easily? He was Galar's strongest Gym Leader, a prominent figure in the region, so it wasn't like the celebrity-commoner conflict didn't apply to him. The playing ground was even.

...Or, is it me? Is Raihan just better with people than I am?

Leon couldn't understand why this knowledge was brewing in his head as much as it was. He wanted to become better friends with Lilias, and Raihan is already his friend, so having your friends become friends is a good thing. His goal in the first place was to make more time for himself and reclaim his private social life, but now he was feeling weird because Lilias and Raihan text each other, and—

"—He has also told me things about you...though a lot of it consists of him talking about how you aren't going to be the Champion forever because he's going to beat you one day."