𝟏𝟕½. 𝐌𝐞𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 (𝐇𝐢𝐬 𝐒𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐲 & 𝐇𝐞𝐫 𝐃𝐞𝐜𝐢𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧)

━ ✧ ❀ ✧ ━

"Leon, where are you going?! Sonia, Sonia! Go after him, please...!"

An elderly woman's voice echoed wailingly out of a particular house in Postwick as its front door slammed open, a young boy with purple hair charging out and heading for the beaten path. His tussled locks barely grazed his shoulders, and as he ran, they loosened the hat atop his head, causing the black cap to fly off.

"Ah...!"

Immediately, he screeched to a stop, batting in vain to get it back. Unfortunately, however, it was a particularly windy day—that wasn't going to happen.

"No! She gave that to me!" Leon cried out, his large yellow eyes welling up with tears as he watched his hat, which was as ordinary as any other cartwheel further into the sky. Its one unique feature that warranted such a reaction from the young boy was a silly crown sticker on the underside of the bill, and as the black cap flipped in the air, the little decorative piece could be seen, a white circular label with a gold coronet in the middle.

"I'm sorry...I'm sorry..."

Before he could lament further, however, a young girl with curly ginger hair suddenly called out to him from the distance, running fast with a face of irritated concern.

"Leon, get back here! Don't worry grandmum like this!"

'Argh, she really came after me! Goody two shoes!'

Said person immediately sobered up, shaking his head and resuming his escape. "No! You don't understand, Sonia!" he yelled back, flying past a cottage lot—his mother's friend's house—and heading for a gated area beyond it. "You never will!"

Sonia growled at this, face twitching as she kicked herself into high gear.

"What do you mean I don't understand?!" she shouted. "Lilias is one of my best friends—of course I'm sad! But, you know her family! Her grandmum is already working on it, so calm down and wait, please!"

Unfortunately, Leon didn't listen—he was a young boy charged with too many negative emotions, on top of being a person who thought with his heart more so than his head. Sonia's eyes widened in horror as he vaulted the gate blocking off the way to the Slumbering Weald, heading into its foggy, uncharted depths.

"LEON, COME BACK!" she screamed. "NO!"

.
.
.
.
.

"Ha...ha... Where am I?"

Leon came to a stop and folded over in fatigue, his fingers dangling and grazing his dirt-scuffed sneakers as he craned his head to take in his surroundings. All around him were tall, densely-packed trees and wild grass, and there was an ever present fog that hung in the air, the mist thick enough to feel like it could be choked on.

"Ah, I didn't bring Wooloo," the young boy suddenly realized as he heard rustling noises, becoming aware of the rashness of his actions. Lilias most certainly wouldn't have approved of this, and the young girl probably would've scolded him with her soft voice and twiddling fingers.

"I'm so dumb! I should've listened...!"

Leon gulped and began to back away as the sounds got stronger, crawling backwards until his back hit a tree. It was then that a silhouette of a Pokémon appeared, materializing out of seemingly nowhere as it slunk around a cluster of rocks and sniffed the air.

'What...is that?'

...Suddenly, another one came.

'No! W-why...?!'