The Not So Fangtastic Truth

I kick a small pile of dead leaves collecting on the side of the sidewalk as I pass them, making that nice rustling noise. The cold autumn air feels good against my pale skin even if it made my hands feel a bit numb at the tips. I don't own any gloves as I hate the feeling of them against my skin and I could never find the right size for my small hands.

     "It's getting late", I thought to myself, "I wonder if I can get home before dark." My eyes wonder up to the sky to see the dark hues of oranges and yellows spreading across the darkening canvas always looming above us. Looks like my small walk around my town took longer than expected, oh well. The darkness of the night always spooked me a bit, there has always been rumors of creatures rising from the dark to prey on defenseless humans like myself. Of course, many people of my town don't believe in such monsters existing like vampires or werewolves, even if there has been a more than average amount of missing posters plastered all over the utility poles. They all just chalk it up to be a kidnapper or murder but no one has ever been caught. Maybe I'm reading too many spooky forums online or legends of the town, but I still have my believes that there are terrifying beings that live among us.

     As the sky gets even darker my spindly legs quicken, the shadows grow more menacingly and almost seems as some of them stretch to get me. "It's just my imagination", I tell myself, "Just keep walking, you'll be home in no time." My eyes dart around me before glancing at the sky again, the moon slowly creeping up only a couple minutes later. As I look back down in front of me, I see a figure standing at the end of the sidewalk; I freeze and my dark eyes widen. The figure slowly starts to walk towards me and I quickly start walking backwards as my eyes try to figure out who this person is. "Why are they walking towards me? Are they just trying to walk past? Who is this?" A million questions flood my mind as the figure inches closer to me in a silent manner but still has some great distance between us. I fear if I turn my back and run away this person might try to run after me, the dark shadows make them seem uninviting and almost ghoulish. Before I could think about saying anything to them my foot gets caught behind my other and I fall to the ground with a thud, hitting my elbow. I quickly try to get up but somehow, I see the feet of the figure stop in front of me, the leaves near them floating away. How could they have gotten to me so fast? Before I could question the speed of this person, they stick their hand out in front of me for me to take.

     "Are you okay ma'am? You took quite a fall there." The figure says.

     "y-yeah," I quietly say before hesitantly taking their hand, helping me get up. I look at their face to see a man with a pair of beautiful honey golden eyes staring at me.

     "I'm sorry I spooked you, I only wanted to ask if you had bus money on you? I forgot to grab some from my apartment." The moonlight seems to shine on him as if it was his own sunlight. His skin is almost a sickly pale but his long dark hair compliments it in a way. He pulls his hand away from mine before fixing the collar of his sweater.
     "Bus money...?" I blink, feeling stupid that I was scared of this nice man. Sure, he looks a bit strange but maybe he has a skin condition. "Oh uh...I might, let me check." I stick my hand in my jean pocket and pull out a dollar bill for him to take.
     "Why thank you." He takes the money and gives me a small smile. "I'll make sure to repay you."

     "Oh no," I straighten myself a bit to make myself look presentable again, "you don't have to do that." The slight gleaming of his mouth catches my eyes, are those...fangs?

     "I insist." His smile turns more into a closed mouth grin when he notices my stare. "Oh! How rude of me, I haven't even introduced myself yet! Apologies there, my name is Ezra; and you are...?"

     "Oh um...my name is Quinn." Were those really fangs? No, it can't be...a vampire is much more well-dressed than that and always has that classic accent. He seems to have more of a country accent, not a Transylvanian one.