Dreamworld

My eyes grow heavy as I stare at the blank paper before me, my thoughts sounding like the grey snow on a vintage television. Tapping my pencil in frustration, I rub my forehead.

     "Come one stupid brain think!" I say to myself before grabbing a pickle from a jar next to me, "I can't fall asleep now, this story is due tomorrow!"

     My brain screams for my eyes to stay open, but my body decided to have other plans. I rest my cheek on the palm of my hand before slowly drifting off into the realm of the dreamworld; there's no use in fighting it.

     Once I open my eyes again, I find myself in a storm of static. The whispers of the white noise surround me like an unwanted hug. The feel on my skin prickles as it moves around my body as it pleases. I try to run but it only seems to follow me, keeping me in its cloud of noise. I wave my arms as if I was trying to swat a swarm of bees but only ended up looking like a crazy person.

     "What the hell is this?" I murmured to myself, "Where am I?"

     Stepping forward, I feel something grab my arm and pull me out of the static.

     "Hurry," a voice says, "this way!"

     Everything around me becomes a blur, the only thing I can hear is the static slowly creeping up on us, engulfing everything in sight.

     "What...what is that thing?" I asked the stranger who I wasn't even sure if they were dangerous or not.

     "The Static," they replied, "it's what's causing you to have writers block."

     Before I could ask any more questions, a force hits my body, causing both of us to fall back.

     "Damn it." they said, "we hit a wall!" They grab me and stand me up before placing both of their hands on my shoulders. Their face is distorted and blurred while their hands feel warm and soft. "This is your world, think of something up to destroy that beast!"

     "Me...? How? I can't even think of a simple plot!" I glance at the static which moves in a serpent like way.

     "Just breathe and close your eyes, I know you can do it."

     Their voice sounds familiar.

     "Alright," I said with a sigh. "I still don't know what's going on but, I'll try." I slowly close my eyes and take a deep breath. The static stirs in my mind but as I keep focusing, a light begins to slowly shine in my hands. Once I open them again, I see a hobby horse in front of me.

     "Really?" the figure said, "THAT'S what you think of?" The noise begins to grow closer. "You know what, fine. I just hope that thing is more than just a horse head on a stick."

     I quickly take the hobby horse with a bit of embarrassment before staring at the static serpent. I raise it in the air before charging at the beast before smacking it with it, making it let out a horrible hiss. The static gathers around me and I keep beating it with my useless horse head. Before I could see the head of the creature, I wake up with a puddle of drool under me.

     "Ew..." I say before wiping my mouth. "What just happened?" I glance at the pickle jar before checking the expiration date and shoving it away from me, I guess I shouldn't eat pickles before falling asleep. Staring back at my paper my mind does feel a bit clearer, lifting the pencil I begin to write a story about a girl and a static serpent.