2. Yoongi

Jungkook

"I promise you, I will get our old lives back."

That's the promise I gave my brother. But now, I stood frozen in front of a book store. The sun just rose and the streets were just starting to get busy. The headline of the news that day brought tears to my eyes.

According to the news, after the initial investigation, my parents committed suicide because of bankruptcy. Set our house on fire before killing themselves. They never mentioned about the children. Perhaps, those who killed them weren't aware of our existence. Something I was thankful for. Sadly, the last person I thought who could help us sent me away. I was glad my brother didn't witness that. Or else, he'll be crying again.

My stomach started to rumble. I was hungry. I haven't eaten since yesterday. It had been weeks since I left my brother in an orphanage. I never once missed calling him. I just visited him two days ago. He told me his friends just got adopted and he was afraid he would find new parents soon. Something I was scared about.

But I didn't know what to do. At an early age, I had my pride. My brother told me to stay there with him. But I was 12. Who would want to adopt a grown-up child? And I didn't like the idea of getting passed between foster homes. Or witnessing my brother being taken away.

And because of that pride, I was living by cleaning the porches, or the stores in the neighborhood. I could only eat once a day. This wasn't the life I wanted for my brother. It felt better knowing he's eating well, he has clothes to wear, and he's also attending classes. Unlike me, sleeping in the streets. Or begging for food.

••••

Six Months Later

As I sat down on the sidewalk beside the cafe I just cleaned, I took out the bread the owner gave me. I prefer food over money. If they opt to give money, I always use it to call my brother. Or to buy something whenever I visit him. He's happy, the sparks in his eyes can tell and that's what's more important for me.

It felt like I was chasing time. I heard he already has adoptive parents and was in the last stage of processing the documents. Like before, I didn't know exactly what to do. I guess I was just counting the days that I would be able to see him freely. It broke my heart thinking about it but at the same time, I'm happy that soon, he'll have a permanent place he could call home. We promised to still call each other. I hugged and kissed him the last time we met. Because I didn't know if that would be the last. I reminded him of my promise. It was the last that I could give him.

As the thoughts almost made me sleepy, the door beside where I was sitting creaked open. A man went out and stood on the sidewalk. He pulled out a pack of cigarettes, took one, and lit it. The smoke almost made me dizzy. Smoke, and fire, always bring back bad memories.

The man took out his phone and started to tap on it. Then he suddenly froze when another man stood beside him. I wasn't sure what that other man said but I witnessed the other man taking the man's bag, wallet, and phone. The man tried to fight back but the other man was quick to shove the punch away. As the other man tried to escape, my hand seemed to automatically clenched on a rock near my seat. And I swung hard, hitting the thief on his head causing him to tumble to the ground.

Blood spilled and I heard the man groaning. Luckily, there's a police passing by and I did not expect what happened next.

•••

The man stared at me in amusement as I devour the foods in front of me. I must admit, I haven't had any decent meals in a while. I slowed down and offered him a piece of the meat. He shook his head while chuckling.