When He Likes You

Zane’s POV

Jay looks into my chest panel. “Whoa, Zane! You could fry an egg in here!” My internal temperature has been spiking at random intervals over the past two weeks, and I believe there might be a malfunction in my cooling system.

“No, you could not. If my internal components had reached the temperature required to fry an egg, they, and I, would no longer be functional.”  

Jay gives me an odd look. “I know. It’s an expression.”

“I…see.” I do not see, but I have learned to let such matters drop.

Jay takes some measurements and checks several of my components. “Well,” he finally says, “I can’t find any problems with your cooling system. I’m gonna run a diagnostic.”

I let him, although I have run precisely three dozen diagnostics in the past two weeks. So far, I have yet to discover a problem, which is why I asked Jay to take a look. 

“What’s up?” Kai asks as he enters the room.

“Zane says he’s been overheating,” Jay explains. “I was just running a systems check.”

Cole walks into the room as well. “Phone call for you, Zane! It’s y/n.”

I take the phone. “Greetings, y/n.”

“Hi, Zane,” she sounds nervous. “There’s something I want to talk to you about.”

“Ah…perhaps I could call you back?” I ask. I do not want to have a discussion in front of my friends, and my internal temperature has just spiked again.

“Sure,” y/n says. She sounds relieved. “Is this a bad time?”

“You could say that, yes.”

“Sorry. I’ll talk to you later.”

“Goodbye, y/n.”

Y/n hangs up, and I put the phone down. I will call her later, when we can speak in private.

Jay bangs his fist on the table. “Dang it! I can’t figure out what’s wrong! I can’t find any problems here at all!”

“I think I know what the problem is,” Cole says. He is smiling, and so is Kai. “Want me to show you?”

Jay gestures helplessly. “Go ahead.”

Cole looks at me. “So, what did y/n want, Zane?”

My internal temperature spikes again and stays elevated.

“Oh, of course!” Jay says. “I would have figured it out eventually.”

“Uh-huh,” Kai smirks at Jay. “Eventually.”

“I am confused,” I tell them. “What is the problem?”

“You’ve got a crush on y/n,” Lloyd announces from behind me. I wasn’t even aware that he was in the room.

“What? That does not compute!” I protest.

I have been having strange feelings about y/n lately. I feel happier when I am with y/n, I cannot stop thinking about her, and sometimes I feel so excited around her that my gears lock up or I stutter. I assumed that there were minor glitches in my programming. I asked my father about them, but he just chuckled and told me that they were a good thing, so I dismissed them. It didn’t occur to me that I might be experiencing a ‘crush.’

 “I’ll admit, I didn’t think nindroids got crushes, but now we know,” Jay tells me. “So…are you gonna ask her out?”

“You know I cannot do that, Jay,” I tell him.

“Can’t schmant! Ask her! Help me out here, guys!” Jay says.

Cole looks at me. “I think if Kai can ask b/f/n out, you can ask y/n out.”

“Hey!” Kai protests. “Leave me out of this!”

“Do it, dude!” Lloyd says. “You’re going to call her back anyway, right?”

“Fine,” I sigh. “I will ask y/n out.”

“That’s the spirit, Zane!” Jay says. “You da nindroid!”

Everyone, including me, stares at Jay. “Well, I thought it was funny,” he mutters.