You Comfort Him

You come downstairs for breakfast to find everyone awake except for Zane. That's strange—he's usually the one who makes breakfast.

"Where's Zane?" you ask curiously.

"I don't think he's left his room all day," Dr. Julien answers. "He's been moping around ever since you started your therapy, but maybe you can shake him out of it."

You start up the stairs. "I'll see what I can do."

When you get to Zane's door, you knock softly and then open it. Zane is sitting on the edge of his bed and staring at the floor. "Hello, y/n," he says glumly when you walk in.

"Penny for your thoughts," you say, sitting next to him.

"Excuse me?" Zane asks.

"It means 'What's up?'" you explain with a laugh.

Zane sighs sadly. "I was just thinking about what will happen to me after you die."

You sigh and put a hand on Zane's arm. "Zane, I'm not going to die. I super-duper, cross my heart, promise. I am not going to let a little thing like this kill me."

"But I will still have to go on without you at some point," Zane says in frustration. "Even if you make it through this, y/n, you will eventually grow old and die. But I am a nindroid. I do not age. I cannot die, at least not in the same way you do. I will still live after you, my father, my friends, and even Sensei Wu are long gone."

"I guess you're right," you agree. "But why are you getting all mopey about this now?"

"Because I cannot imagine a single day without you, y/n!" Zane bursts out. "I cannot imagine seeing a sunrise without being able to turn around and look at you. I cannot imagine cooking a meal without you trying to taste everything. I cannot imagine looking up at a starry sky, or going ice skating, or enjoying a song without being able to hold your hand. Without you, my life would be empty."

You take Zane's hand and squeeze it. "Zane, you need to stop blaming yourself for things you can't change. You can't change that you're a nindroid, and you can't change the fact that I'll die someday. If you can only spend so much time with me, why are you wasting it by moping around?"

Zane hesitates. "I never thought of it that way."

"No matter how old I get, I will always love you," you say, squeezing Zane's hand harder. "I'll love you even after the day I die."

"You do realize that that may be impossible," Zane says. But he cracks a smile when he says it.

"I'll find a way, just you wait," you promise. "I'm going to love you forever and ever and ever."

Zane pulls you close and hugs you. "Thank you, y/n, for reminding me of that. I promise that I will still love you even after you are gone. I will love you until my circuits fall apart and my gears rust."

You hug him back. "I know you will, Zane."