Planning A Surprise

"Well?" Nya asks anxiously when you step out of the kitchen. All of the ninja, Nya, and b/f/n are sitting on the living room couch. Zane isn't here because Sensei Wu took him out running errands for the day.

"I'm going back into chemotherapy next week," you announce.

"What?!" b/f/n demands. "But you're going to miss my birthday! You owe me big, y/n."

B/f/n's annoyance reminds you of something that's been bugging you for a while. "Speaking of which, when's Zane's birthday?" you ask.

The other guys all look at each other. "Uh...we don't know." Kai admits. "Nindroids don't age, so I guess none of us ever really thought about it."

"Well, then, let's pick a day and celebrate," you say. "How about tomorrow?"

Cole stares at you. "Are you crazy, y/n? We can't just..." You fold your arms and give him a look while you wait for his brain to catch up with his mouth.

"I think it's a great idea," Jay says. "After all, Zane should get to celebrate birthdays too. Even though, you know, he wasn't...technically...born..."

Nya shakes her head, but you can see that she's smiling. "Next time, quit while you're ahead, Jay. And I think it's a great idea."

"I'm in, too," Lloyd says.

"Sounds like a plan," Kai agrees with a grin. "We can surprise him. It'll be great!"

Cole waves his hands for attention. "Whoa, whoa, whoa, wait, y/n. Are you sure about this? Zane might not like you just picking some random day to be his birthday."

You decide to ignore Cole and focus on the others. "Okay, Kai, b/f/n, you do the decorations. Lloyd, you're in charge of keeping Zane distracted when he gets home and finding places to hide everything until we're ready to set up. Jay and Nya, since you're the best cooks after Zane, you're making the cake—"

"Cake?" Cole sits up straight. "Why didn't you say so? I'll gladly help out if there's going to be cake."

You shake your head. "Nope, you didn't want to help. You're not allowed to have any."

"Please?" Cole actually gets down on his knees and begs. "Please? I'll even help make it!"

The rest of you look at each other and chorus, "NO."

"We're trying to celebrate Zane's birthday, not poison him," you say. "Sheesh, Cole!"

"Can he actually be poisoned, since he's a robot?"

"Nindroid!" Jay corrects.

"Whatever!" you and Cole both reply. Then you go back to scowling at each other.

"The point is, are you in or not?" Lloyd interrupts before you can all start arguing.

Cole sighs. "Fine. I'm in."

You smack a hand down on his shoulder. "That's the spirit!"

"Spare me."