Decisions

A loud, annoying beeping rouses you from sleep.

"Make it stop," you mumble, fumbling for your alarm clock. Your hand skates across the table next to your bed, scattering a handful of small objects piled there. A few of them tumble to the floor, each marked by a small thump.

Despite your search, there's no alarm clock to be found, and the beeping continues.

"Make it stooooop," you repeat, waving your arm in the direction of the beeping. When you still can't find anything that might be the source, you shoot a quick burst of your elemental power in the right direction. The beeping shuts off immediately.

You'll have to remember that for the next time Cole starts acting insufferable.

Without the annoying noise in the way, you can pick up another sound from somewhere in the distance. The ninjas' footsteps and voices are somewhere nearby, and they're getting closer.

"Finally! I thought visiting hours would never start," Kai says, his voice cutting through other people's footsteps and the sound of machines.

"Y/n should be on the sixth floor," Zane says. "Let's hurry."

"Where's the sixth floor?" Jay asks.

Someone's palm smacks against their forehead. "It's below the seventh and above the fifth. Good grief, Jay."

"I know that, Cole!" Jay protests. "I just don't know how to get there."

"The stairs!"

"I know that too! I meant, where are the stairs?"

"We could try going through this door with a sign that says 'stairs' above it," Lloyd suggests innocently.

"You all exist to mock me, don't you?"

Laughter echoes up to your room along with the thumping of climbing footsteps. You reluctantly open your eyes, blinking against the glare of fluorescent lights, and let the ninjas' voices blend back into the regular noises that surround you.

Less than a minute later, the door to your room clicks open, and Zane pokes his head in. When he sees you awake, he cries out excitedly, runs over to your bed, and hugs you. You hug him back as tightly as you can while the rest of the ninja and your mom troop into the room.

Next it's your mom's turn for a hug, followed by b/f/n. When that's out of the way, you finally get to ask the question that's been bugging you since you woke up.

"What happened?"

"You just collapsed all of a sudden," Cole explains, his forehead furrowed in worry. "When you wouldn't wake up, your mom said we should take you to the hospital."

You shake your head with a sigh. "Mom, you worry too much."

Your mom frowns. "You don't worry enough, y/n. If your cancer has gotten bad enough for you to collapse like this, you need medical attention right away." She hesitates, and it takes you a second to realize how scared she is for you. "You're my daughter. I don't want to lose you."

"You're not gonna lose me, mom," you promise. "There's a treatment that can still cure me, and I'm going to use it."

Everyone else in the room choruses "WHAT!?"

You nod. "I mean it, guys. I'm gonna live. End of story."