Chapter 33

Johns POV:
I watched as her face grew pale and her body flexed in pain, I began to panic. Stepping back I closed the distance again, molding her small frame to mine. "Scarlett, honey?" I said hurriedly, bringing my hand up and brushing some of her hair out of her face. Her face relaxed and her eyes fell closed. "Scarlett?!" I yelled.
Quickly, I picked her up bridal style and began to run towards the house. I could feel her breathing, so I knew she wasn't dead. I jumped over a log carefully balancing her in my arms, looking down I saw that her face had relaxed completely. Her hair cascaded over my arm and down her shoulder, it was all knotted and ratty. Threw her hair I could see a slight scar on her forehead, maybe the size of a penny, it wasn't big at all but I felt my body fill with rage. I had known that she was a slave, I knew that the training and punishment of slaves were brutal, but seeing that little scar set my rage on fire. I felt my breathing deepen and my nostrils flare. I thought about what might have happened to my little angel, and my anger grew.
I stopped in my tracks and focused on my wings. I needed to get my princess to the house quicker, and running simply wasn't cutting it. I felt my back slowly separate, and my wings emerge threw the folds of skin. It was never painful for me, I knew some angels found it excruciatingly painful though. I wonder what Scarlett felt when she changed. I wonder what color they were, blue, green, white, creme? I wonder if they cascaded down her back or stood tall like mine? I bet they are beautiful though. The moon goddess's daughter must have the most stunning wings. I sighed, I didn't care what her wings looked like. She was beautiful.
I felt my anger lessen as I flew, I was here to help Scarlett now. I was going to protect her from all of the badness of the world. I would mend and fix her to be the beautiful, confident, and smart woman she could be. I looked down at her, she was so beautiful. Her nose was lightly coated in freckles, they were the cutest things in the world. I wonder if they scrunch together when she laughs?
I softly pushed my wings to gain flight, after gaining the appropriate altitude I dove forward. Buzzing threw the tall tree's towards the house. Flight was so much faster than running, it was exciting and relaxing all at the same time. The biggest adrenaline rush in the world.
The house came into view, tucked in between the tree's the little house looked like a little lincoln log building. The small red door seemed to radiate from the green brown surrounding it. I lived with Colt, Doc, and Anna. Colt was my right hand man, big guy, even bigger wings. He was a good guy, confident. Doc was well, the doctor. He was in his late fifties, married to Anna. A little, spunky fifty year old woman who we all loved and feared equally. Me and Colt had lived with Doc and Anna for ten years now. We had met them when Colt was being an idiot and punched some guy. Poor guy ended up with a broken nose and a slight concussion. Doc stitched him up and nursed the poor guy back to health. While Anna gave Colt the ass whooping of the century.
I pushed my wings harder, gaining speed as I neared the house. "Colt!" I yelled as my feet hit the soppy grass. I grimaced as I heard the slush under my boots. Nasty.
I heard the door swing open, before he could say anything I started towards him. "Colt, grab Doc and get ahold of the goddess. Our princess is home."