Chapter 12 - Stars

Chapter 12

              Stars

The beautiful sound the violin made from Nevaeh's hand was sad and dreamy as she put all of her emotions into it. The guys, frozen where ever they were in the house when she began to play, were mesmerized by the melody. Simple but beautiful.

Nevaeh was hurt from how Vasska spoke to her. She didn't understand exactly why his words and tone made her so upset or why it affected her so much. Never before had anyone made her feel that way, not even when her adoptive parents scolded her for skipping classes.

She was in the library alone since Justin and Keagan were in her room fixing the window where the trespassers came through.

Listening to the music made Vasska want to go to her and hold her in his arms but for some odd reason he was too sad to even move, like the music it's self held him captive where he stood.

When her voice began to sing out he sunk to his knees, devastated by the sadness within it. Even the other guys were weighed down by her voice. Keagan slumped into Justin's arms as his body shook from the overwhelming sadness. He wanted to cry out but buried his face into Justin's chest as Justin tried to calm him. Justin was having his own issues with the sad music but remained as strong as he could. 

Avery was in the basement filling the generator up with gas and even the muffled harmony through the floor had made him freeze. Stunned silent and wishing he could comfort her. He tried to move but the heaviness in his legs was too much for him. Why did he have this reaction when she would play her violin or sing? What made him feel the depth of her soul reaching out to his, strangling it to try and bring it back to some semblance of existence.

After singing for a little while, Nevaeh felt better and stopped her chorus. She was tired and really just wanted to sleep but she didn't want to sleep in her room. Not just yet, even if the boys had managed to finish fixing her window. The images of the dark figures in her room haunted her.

As she entered her room she gasped. She had not expected to see what she did and tried to turn around and leave but Justin called after her.

"Nevaeh. Wait. It's ok," Justin's voice was strained.

She stopped and slowly turned back around. "I just wanted to take a shower," she spoke shyly.

"You can. We won't bother you," Justin made Keagan sit up as he moved to open the bathroom door for her.

"Thank you," she said barely above a whisper.

Once inside the bathroom she couldn't make her thoughts coherent. Had she seriously just saw that? Or was she imagining things? Either way she would not mention it or ask them about it.

The warm bath was comforting but over too quickly.

In a comfortable soft, long, flowing night gown with long sleeves she went to the kitchen to stifle her grumbling tummy. She rummaged in the fridge and pulled out the ingredients to make herself a sandwich.

"I can cook you something, if you'd like?" Vasska's deep rich voice sounded from across the kitchen behind her.

She looked to him with her arms full with lunch meat, cheese, mayo and lettuce. "Um... thanks but I was just really wanting a sandwich," she placed everything on the counter.

"Oh, I thought since you couldn't find Keagan you were settling for a sandwich," he said as the awkwardness made him nervous.

"No. I really wanted one," she shook her head lightly and looked in the fridge for a tomato. "Where is Keagan?"