Chapter 21

Chapter 21

The drive from the airport was long and silent as Nevaeh refused to even look towards Vasska. She watched as daybreak illuminated the passing scenery. There were all types of tall piney trees covering a hilly landscape. She found it to be refreshing. The forest was her element after all.

Vasska often glanced at her before looking back to the road. He was sad that she was upset with him but, he wanted to keep her safe. So if keeping her safe made her mad at him then he was willing to have that.

Vasska pulled up to a large iron security gate which was already opening for them. He pulled through and they saw two guards waving them on by. Vasska nodded to one and drove on.

Nevaeh continued to look out her window and loved what she seen. She saw the greenest shrubery she had ever seen and beautiful flower gardens with a brilliant array of colors. The aroma was so invigorating and full that when it wafted through the cars air conditioning vents, she breathed it in deep. She wished she could jump out of the car and walk through them. Nevaeh noticed that the further they drove the larger the gardens became until Vasska began to drive into an open garage.

Before Vasska turned the car off the garage door had already begun to shut. They remained silent and still for a few moments as they each thought about what to do or say. Vasska shifted in his seat to face Nevaeh and just stared at her. His mind trying to think of what he could say to her. He didn't like her being mad at him. It hurt his soul. 

Nevaeh, feeling Vasska's eyes on her sighed before turning to face him too but she kept her eyes down, not meeting his.

"I am sorry," he whispered sadly. He was still in pain that he even hurt her and so desperately wanted to touch her cheek. "I understand if you never forgive me but..."

A tap on the window interrupted him. Nevaeh jumped from the sudden noise and Vasska cursed under his breath. Nevaeh's eyes shot past Vasska, out the window and saw Avery peering through with a confused expression.

"Are you two going to get out anytime soon?" he asked through the closed window.

Nevaeh moved quickly to get out of the car and ran into his open arms. He hugged her tightly as he slowly rocked her from side to side. Tears threatened to fall past her eyes as the emotions overwhelmed her. 

Vasska stepped out of the car soon after and tried not to growl at Avery's affectionate hug. Avery saw the glare in Vasska's eyes and heard the low warning growl that Nevaeh totally missed.

Avery slowly pushed Nevaeh back to get a good look at her. "Are you ok?" He saw the pain and sadness seeping through her expression. 

Nevaeh nodded as she sniffled. Tears leaked out from the edges of her eyes as the memories of the past days haunted her.

"Where's Justin and Keagan?" Avery looked between the two and Nevaeh began to cry again.

Avery panicked and tensed as Nevaeh burried her face into his chest. "What?" He hissed as he searched Vasska's face.

"We will talk about it later," Vasska spoke sternly.

Nevaeh's head shot up and she turned to face Vasska. She was angry and he saw it in her eyes and body language. Her eyes may be dark as night but they still held the world in them and he could see it.

"Why not tell him now huh?" She shouted angrily.

"Nevaeh," Vasska warned.

"No Vasska," she yelled and tears fell more freely.

"Ok, calm down," Avery patted her back and pulled her back into a hug. "Let's get you settled in. You need some rest before a meeting we must attend in a few hours," Avery's voice held authority.