Chapter 14 - Search

Chapter 14

Search

"WHY DIDN'T YOU GO AFTER HER?" Vasska shouted at Avery once he returned from hunting.

"I did Vasska," Avery hissed through his teeth. "And I told you that they must have had a car because her scent ends at the highway."

Vasska gripped a kitchen chair in his hand and flung it across the room. "What are we going to do?" He continued to yell.

"I don't know what we can do Vasska. We don't know who took her so where would we start?" Avery asked more calmly while placing his hands on the table.

Vasska thought it to be a little too calmly so he leaned into Avery's face, giving him a hateful glare. "We can try to find her." He growled. Vasska turned and walked a few steps before turning back around to face Avery. "I'm going to go see Lazario."

Avery looked surprised. "No Vasska. You know what he will do."

"And we don't know what will happen to Nevaeh if I don't pull some resources," Vasska began to pace.

"Let me at least help you this time Vasska. You know he won't help unless you pay your debt."

Vasska sighed. "That means you have to go-"

"Yea, don't remind me. But I will do it for her." Avery got a far a way look as he thought about what he was fixing to do. He had hid away from his blood relatives all of these years and now he needed to return to them for help. He figured if Vasska had to come out of hiding and do something he didn't like than so would he. For her they would do anything. "I'll go now and then wire you the money so you can get to Lazario's as fast as you can."

"When are Justin and Keagan returning?" Vasska asked while he continued to pace.

"They should be here in an hour." Avery caught Vasska's arm and made him pause. "We will try everything we can."

"I won't stop until I find her," Vasska warned.

Avery understood and just nodded. He then packed a bag and left.

Meanwhile, Justin and Keagan ran as fast as they could to get back to the house. Arguing occasionally with each other to run faster. When they finally reached the house they found Vasska sitting on the front porch. His face buried in his hands and his posture slouching.

"Well?" Justin asked.

Vasska looked up from his hands to the two and sighed while shaking his head.

"Where's Avery?" Keagan looked around.

"He went to talk to his family." They could hear the defeated tone in Vasska's voice.

Keagan gasped. "No." He nearly shouted.

Justin was speechless as his widened eyes of shock looked Vasska over. After a few more silent seconds he understood. "He is doing it for you isn't he? So you can go to Lazario for help."

Vasska didn't answer him instead he slowly looked up to Justin and with the look alone answered Justin's questions.

"But what if Lazario wants more than just money?" Keagan asked.

Justin and Vasska looked to him with surprise that he thought of that.

"I will do what I have to," Vasska answered.

They waited around the house, impatient while their anxiety grew; feeling helpless.

(Avery)

It took two days for Avery to make it to his family's estate. The two guards at the front gate gave him a crooked smile as he approached them.