Girl Meets Maya's Mother

Farkle walked into the classroom wearing a robe. We were supposed to be drawing fruit. Mine was decent. Farkle moved the fruit bowl off of the stool, making me curious.

"Why draw fruit?" He handed the fruit bowl to Miss Kossal. "Let's draw a real work of art. That's right. Check out forty-eight pounds of nasty."

"No!" the three of us shouted as we covered our eyes.

"Well!" I slowly uncovered my eyes. "Looky here. The male... physique."

"Why thank you, art lady," Farkle said smoothly.

"Why aren't we drawing Lucas?" Riley asked.

Miss Kossal looked at him for a moment. "Because nobody looks like that." She turned back to Farkle. "Get used to this. Get used to this right now. When drawing a Farkle, start with the eyes."

"I think the eyes should go straight to the gun show," Farkle said, flexing.

I focused on drawing a sketch of the basic figure. Farkle was sitting up straight, looking directly at me. I erased the lines, only leaving the small amount of pencil. I started outlining the actual figure.

"All right. I know these are works in progress, but let's see where we are," Miss Kossal announced.

"Maybe we'll become famous artists. We'll go to Paris, drink coffee in outdoor cafes. How do I look?" Riley asked.

Maya sketched a silly drawing of Riley in Paris while humming. She held it up to Riley. "Fine, make fun of me. I am a serious artist who belongs in Paris," Riley said.

I tuned out everyone as I dug through my bag. I finally pulled out my brush markers. I started with the skin, a nice peachy-tan.

"Wow, (Y/n). I never knew you could draw like that," Miss Kossal said admiringly. "Do you do better with observational or visual drawings?"

"Both," I replied, sighing as I stood back from the stand. "I could do better."

"No, no. McGuire, this is beautiful," she said, picking up the canvas and turning it around.

Farkle looked at me, smiling. I smiled back, holding up my red brush marker.

~~~

I felt a hug from behind, going around my waist, as I sat at my desk. I leaned back into him, smiling. I paused the video I was watching on egyptian gods and goddesses.

"Joining me?" I asked.

Farkle nodded, sitting on the small couch I had. I took my computer and carried it to the couch, setting it on the other side. I laid on my side between Farkle's right side and the cushions. He had an arm wrapped around me as I continued the documentary.

~~~

"Alright, future history makers! Welcome to Career Day! Now there are a lot of ways to make your mark on the world."

"Hi, Riley." Mrs. Matthews walked into the room.

"Oh, great. Shakira's here," Riley said sarcastically. She turned to me and Maya. "Where's your mom?"

"She won't be coming," we said in unison.

"But she told you she was coming," Riley said to Maya.

"Yes, she did," Maya agreed.

"Okay, guys, our first guest today is a lawyer, and I likes her." Mr. Matthews grinned. "Hey, Lawyer Lady. How's about we go out sometime? I get off work every day at 3:15... except Tuesdays. I got playground."