Girl Meets Permanent Record

Spanish class would be a sore spot for me if I didn't hear it out my window. And having an eidetic memory makes it a little easier to remember things. I was so proud of what I had learned in that class. I could practically speak it fluently.

"Good morning, girls. Please take your seats," our Spanish teacher said in Spanish.

"Spanish class. I just love this class," Riley said enthusiastically. "I wish it was in English."

"Roberta, Spanish only."

"What are you trying to accomplish?" Riley asked.

"She wants us to only speak in Spanish, Rils," I said.

"T-Today I ham ha-wearing sandals," Riley said, making me groan.

"Roberta."

"That's my name in here!" Riley grinned.

"Roberta! Spanish only!" the teacher pleaded.

"I will help her, Senora Feinstein-Chang," I assured her.

"I would appreciate that, (Y/n)," Senora Feinstein-Chang said.

"Why do you get to stay (Y/n) and I have to be Roberta?" Riley questioned.

"Because (Y/n) is a Spanish name," I said, smiling briefly at my cousin.

"Then what is Riley?" she questioned.

"A trick to make us all think you're cute," Maya teased.

"I'm Riley." The girl put her hands on her cheeks.

"You did it. I want to squish your face." Maya sighed.

"Good morning, class. I have your first test to hand back to you. Maya, (Y/n), good work."

"Ooh! Wait! Wait, what's that in Spanish?" Riley said, looking excitedly at Maya's paper.

"An A is an A wherever you go," Maya explained.

"Yay!"

"Spanish!"

"Goal!" Riley picked up her paper. "A D?"

"Spanish."

"Ay-ay-ay."

~~~

We sat in the cafe, studying various things. I was sitting with Farkle, reading Of Mice and Men for our English 1 Honors class. Riley was over in another lounge, the Spanish 'D' taped to her forehead.

"What? You're not sittin' with us anymore?" Maya asked.

"I don't deserve to sit with you guys. I am disgraced," Riley said dramatically. "D for disgraced."

"Riley, it's only one grade," Lucas reasoned.

"Yeah. You know how many D's I got in middle school? Once I got five D's in one day," Maya admitted.

"You were Cinco D Maya," Zay joked.

"I don't get it," Riley said.

"Actually, those D's don't matter anymore, Maya."

"None of our old grades do."

"Wait, so they don't care about middle school?" Maya asked.

"They only look at your high school grades," Farkle explained.

"Then why'd you make me go all this time?" Maya shouted, grabbing Farkle by the collar.

Farkle scrambled out of her grip and wrapped his arms around my waist. I kept my hand on his arm, assuring him he had my attention. He almost hid behind me from Maya, making me smile.

"Wait. So nobody cares about all the good grades I got when I was a kid?" Riley questioned.

"They only care that you didn't eat paste," Zay joked.

"Oh. How long does that stay in ya?" Riley asked curiously.

"Boy, all those years I went to middle school, I could've been scratching lottery tickets and drinking soda pop," Maya said.

"Well, Maya, you finally hit the jackpot. I mean, right now, you can go to any college you want," Zay explained.

"What about me?" Riley questioned.

"You're her cute friend," I teased.

"Please don't give up on me, college," Riley whined.

"Colleges don't only care about grades, you know," Lucas pointed out.

"They care about extracurriculars."

"And that's why Zay and I are trying out for baseball."

"Since the football team made their feelings about us quite clear."

"It wasn't that bad."

"Yeah, it was!" Zay whimpered. "They hit us so hard."

"It's all right. Baseball's our sport anyway," Lucas assured him.

"Zay, I hit you all the time. Unintentional or not." I scoffed.

"She hits harder than them." Zay pointed an accusing finger at me.

"I deal with horses, Texas. I'm supposed to have a little muscle," I reasoned.

Ethan:

*Picture*

On my way!

"Who was that?" Farkle asked.

"Someone that shouldn't be here. I gotta go." I picked up my jacket and left, immediately hailing a cab to the train station.

~~~

"You jerk," I said into the phone. "I left my study session for this."

"What? You actually went to see me?" Ethan laughed.

"I hate you." I hung up, getting a cab back to my apartment.

~~~

I stormed into the Matthews' apartment, startling Maya and Riley.

"I just did something that I never thought would happen in my life and I don't think I will ever do again!" I shouted.

"What did you do?" Riley groaned.

"Okay. One of the girls in my choir class convinced me to try out for softball-"

"You got in?" Both girls looked up.

"I got in!" I shouted in amazement.

"You're just a woman of all things, aren't you?" Riley asked.

"I guess so," I said.

~~~

"Welcome to the jock life," Farkle said.

"No. I'm obviously back in Nerdville," I teased, making Farkle pout. "Hey. Come here. You know I love being a nerd."

"You will always be one. Right next to me. Right?" Farkle asked unsurely.

"Always."