Girl Meets Rules

We sat in history class, waiting for Mr. Matthews to arrive. Some of us were getting antsy. And by some of us, I meant the five of us.

"All right, where's your father?" Lucas asked.

"Are we getting a sub? I don't want a sub. You never know where they've been," Farkle said, holding my hand over his desk.

"Will you calm down? He's one minute late. Stop overreacting," Riley assured him.

"What if I never learn anything else? I'm going down, sir! Oh, wait, he's not even here," Farkle said, letting go of my hand and falling over.

I sighed and got up, fixing my boyfriend. I sat him up and kissed his forehead. He darted up, his face coming close to mine. I pushed him away by his nose with my pointer finger.

"Matthews is out, Farkle is down, it's Maya time," Maya decided, walking up to the front of the room.

"Farkle's fixed. (Y/n)'s back in business. No Maya time," Riley retorted as I placed Farkle back in his desk.

He fell over again. "You may proceed."

"During Maya time, we open the confiscation drawer and take back all the stuff from the Land of Unfairly Taken Toys," Maya explained.

I scoffed. "Maya, we shouldn't be doing this-"

Everyone cheered over me, making me sigh in defeat.

"What'd I miss?" Farkle asked after he stood up.

The frisbee hit him in the head, knocking him down again.

"Maya! He is going to walk in and catch you and you're going to be in trouble and we are here to keep you out of trouble, and we will have failed. Do you want me to fail?" Riley questioned.

"Do you want me to show you how to have fun?" Maya replied.

"Behaving is fun," I snapped.

"Come here!" Maya demanded Riley.

"I really don't want to," Riley admitted.

"You come here right now. Ring power!" Maya demanded.

"When you say ring power, you have to. It's a rule," Riley explained.

"Tell me this isn't fun," Maya said, shooting ping-pong balls at everyone.

"Yeah, that seems like fun. But now you did it, so I don't get to do it. So are we sitting down now?" Riley asked.

Maya handed her a second. "Of course there's another one!"

"Do it," Maya ordered.

"There is nothing in this world that can make me do it," Riley said defiantly.

"Ring power," Maya said, holding up her hand.

Riley and Maya started shooting the balls at everyone. Because of the chaos, people started throwing things at each other. Farkle and I ducked under our desks, avoiding the madness. Everything stopped, and we looked up. Mr. Matthews stood in the doorway.

"When did you guys decide there were no rules in here?" Mr. Matthews questioned. "When did my generosity in allowing you to express yourselves make you think you could turn my class into a zoo?"

"I'm sorry," Maya and Riley said.

"I'm sorry," Farkle said.

"I'm sorry," the class said together.

"Lucas, (Y/n). Why are you the only one here that didn't say I'm sorry?" Mr. Matthews asked.

"Because we never do anything," Lucas answered.