Girl Meets Belief

"You know why it's a great day?" Riley asked.

"For you? Because it's a day," Maya replied, making me smile.

"Endless possibilities lie ahead," Riley explained.

"Nothing is endless except your goofy smile," I said, teasing Riley.

Maya noticed a five-dollar bill on the floor. She walked over and picked it up. "What a great day! Looky here. What should we buy?"

"We're not buying anything. That money is not yours," Riley argued.

"This is where our friendship ends, right here, right now. Goodbye forever."

"Maya, somebody dropped that," Riley pointed out.

"Who? Name? Whose is it? Whose? I'll take any whose. I'll even take the who's with the apostrophe because I never know which is right," Maya explained.

"The first one, in this case," I said.

"Thank you." Maya shifted her focus back to Riley.

"How could you live knowing that that belongs to someone else?" Riley questioned in disbelief.

"Everything I own belonged to somebody else," Maya said. "Riley, it's a five-sky. Not even a one-sky. Anybody could find a one-sky."

Riley scoffed. "Put it back."

"This is my only source of income."

The bell rang. I walked into the classroom. Farkle greeted me, taking my hand and kissing it. I froze, looking at him in disbelief. He smiled.

"You're cute when you blush."

~~~

"Riles, it was just a coincidence I happened to find it," Maya assured her. "Can you leave it alone?"

"There are no coincidences, Maya," Riley argued. "A coincidence is just the universe's way of saying hi."

"Hi," Uncle Cory said, making us focus our attention on him.

"Somebody here needs to learn a lesson," Riley said.

"In 1425, Joan of Arc, a thirteen-year-old girl, believed that she heard the voice of God, telling her to drive the English out of France."

"Wow."

"Amazing."

"Yeah, back then, you could drive at thirteen?" Maya questioned in disbelief.

"Nobody hears voices in their head. That's just crazy," Farkle stated. "It is so!"

"Now Joan knew that this belief could cost her her life," Uncle Cory continued.

"What if she wasn't crazy, Farkle?" Lucas asked. "What if she just deeply believed in something?"

"And when you deeply believe in something, it could cause hallucinations, voices, et cetera," I reasoned.

"And why believe in anything you can't prove?" Farkle added.

"Ah, now there's a question," Uncle Cory said, startling me. "Guess where this is leading us."

"To an assignment," Maya said.

"You've all walked through life long enough with your blissfully empty heads. But what do you guys really believe in? Some of our greatest thinkers believed in something so strongly that they gave their lives to change the world."

"Show-offs," Maya scoffed.

"Does anyone here believe in anything, anything at all?" Uncle Cory questioned.