Girl Meets True Maya

We were in history class, like usual. I was twiddling with my pencil, ready to jot down information. So far, everything was basic facts. A volcano that destroyed an entire civilization. I looked at Maya, worried.

"Pompeii. Lucas!" Uncle Cory said.

"You mean Farkle?" Lucas questioned.

"I mean Lucas," Uncle Cory corrected him.

"Oh."

"I want to see what you know," Uncle Cory said.

"Okay. Here's what I know. Farkle." Lucas hit his arm.

"Why, thank you." Farkle bowed his head to him. "Pompeii was an ancient village in Italy located near the beauty and culture of Naples. It was a resort town where the wealthy would go to soak up the sun."

"It was like the Hawaii of Italy," Lucas added.

"Thanks, Lucas." Uncle Cory smiled.

"Call on me anytime." Lucas saluted to him sarcastically.

"Pompeii sounds so beautiful, girls. We should go there," Riley said dreamily. "We should go there and be calm."

Uncle Cory laughed. "Let me tell you about a whole city that became very calm, very quick. Now, who here knows about Mount Vesuvius?"

"Mount Vesuvius was a pent up, boiling cauldron of I-wanna-do-somethin'," Maya said, making me worried and realize what's going to happen.

"Vesuvius sat quiet for a long time, but then it did what volcanoes in time must do. It 'sploded!" Uncle Cory exclaimed.

"Why does a volcano have to 'splode?" Riley pouted.

"Because if it doesn't, it'll just blow up worse later." Uncle Cory continued. "Vesuvius wiped out the entire population of Pompeii. It was one of the greatest natural disasters the world had ever known."

Riley pivoted on Maya. "Okay then, do it right now. Do what you need to do to be Maya, but please don't wipe us all out Peaches."

The fire alarm rang loudly. I covered my ears, wincing at how loud it was. The lights flashed blindingly. I could barely uncover my ears without wincing. I always hated the way they built these things.

"Hello, students. Sorry about that. A little glitch in the system. False alarm. Our mistake. Back to work."

I uncovered my ears a few seconds after it stopped. Farkle knew I had auditory sensitivity overload to certain things. One was fire alarms. He put a hand on my shoulder. I kissed his hand and nodded, assuring him I was okay.

~~~

We were sitting in the cafe. Maya sat a little way away from us. Riley looked at Maya pleadingly. The angel of a teenager wanted more than anything than to get this over with. What was the devilish teen going to do?

"Explode! If you're going to explode, explode! Just do it. I can't wait. Explode!"

Farkle made a rumbling noise. I raised an eyebrow. Maya looked at him, bewildered.

"What are you doing?" Maya questioned.

"Mount Farkleuvius has awoken in all its bubbling glory," Lucas said in a terrible British accent.

"What is that?" Farkle asked, stopping.

"That's my fancy British guy, Mortimer," Lucas said, making me snort.

"Sounds like you're eating meatloaf," Farkle commented.

"Meatloaf."

"Okay, thing number two hundred and eleven he can't do. Accents," Farkle decided.