Chapter 22 :

(Yeji's Pov:) *

I watched fondly with a hint of amusement as Lia and Ryujin left the area awkwardly. But somehow it only made the pair look more adorable. Warmth started to swarm around my chest, feeling a sense of achievement for her, like a mother watching their childs first attempt of their power.

'I hope everything goes well.' I thought with a smile.

"What do you think will happen?" Yuna cheerily chirps on my side, sharing the feeling of relief and excitement.

"Hopefully something like progress." A voice grumbles, making my heart flip and turn.

My smile faltered for a fraction, recalling a past memory. When we were young, when Ryujin first arrived back at the home palace, she used to talk about Lia so affectionately that her name had become very familiar to us at the time, even though we've never met Lia.

Ryujin had been closed off when i first met her as a child. Only ever speaking a word when necessary. Eventually she warmed up to me, sharing all her experiences back here, and her face would always brighten up at the mention of Lia's name.

We thought they must have been very close. It's surprising we didn't caught on the moment we heard Lia's name. It's been many years since then, years of bliss, before all of that happened.

A shiver of dread threatens to run up my spine before i grounded myself, shaking away those memories quickly.

Ryujin never really explained what happened to the two of them, we'll have that conversation if she's ready. But alot of things could happen in the course of those years—something that I could relate to. So, it's understandable that she forgot about her. But, I know it doesn't hurt less for my friend.

For now, I just want Ryujin to indulge herself of what she's missed, to distract her from things. Even for just a moment.

But theres an underlining anxiety clawing at me from time to time. Reminding me of a certain nightmare, That we could never be too careless. I know everyone feels that too.

After all, anything could happen, knowing they're after us.

"Watching them is frustrating sometimes, don't you think?" A voice spoke softly, interrupting my trail of thoughts. I turned my head to the side, and found Chaeryeong staring at me.

My heart skips a beat, reveling at the sight of this beautiful being infront of me.

Goodness—she's so pretty.

"Y-Yeah it is." I answered, hiding my wavering voice with a chuckle.

Chaeryeong seemed to not notice it as she continues to give me a smile. "But you know what, i think it's disgustingly adorable." She adds.

I nod my head in agreement. "You're right, but i hope they'll catch us a break sometime now. I can't wait any longer, I might just have to lock them both in a room so that they can talk about their feelings." I joked an exasperated sigh and shook my head. My words drew a giggle from her lips. The sound almost catching me in a daze.

She looks away from me and settles her eyes on the two figures far from us.

"I do hope so." She mutters quietly, enough for me to hear. There was a look in her eyes, one that will promise support, a clear evidence of how much she treasures her friend.

A silent nod was all i could i do, as I stared adoringly at the side of her face. 'Can i be someone you treasure too?'

Even under the scorching sunlight, her pale skin was as flawless as ever. Her cheeks were tinted red from the heat, droplets of sweat trickling down her neck, it made her more impossibly attractive. I let myself bask in her beauty.