░Chapter 5░

(f-slur warning)

It's been a day since I mentioned names to my cousin. And then I realized how much I didn't know about him. My family had a lot of issues from before I was born up until three years ago. So I hadn't seen any of my cousin until then.

And it's weird to think that he might have been just like me. Not always Marco. Not always him. But still Marco and still him all the same.

Trans was a word he repeated a few times. He said there were other identities like non-binary but he said trans was an umbrella term.

I'm not quite sure but I think I like being called a boy. I'd like a different name but I can't find one that seems to fit.

And that's when my mind began to trail back to names. I'm sick and tired of fucking names. They make my brain want to implode.

I check the time. Once again I'm walking to school around 7:15. The snow has begun to melt so it isn't as pretty out. I pick up my pace until I reach the steps.

I dread walking in to meet with a probably angry Darla. Her sister is in town. She hates her sister.

It's been a few minutes but then I see a flash of blue in my peripheral vision. She walks up to me and leans on the locker next to mine, "Hey Ani!" I don't even know what my name is but it's not that.

Nevertheless I can't just ignore her,"Hi Darla."

"Oh my god do you know what my sister told my family?" There it is.

I can just pretend to be interested,"No what did she say?"

"She said she had a boyfriend! A boyfriend Ani!!!"

"Is that a bad thing? I can't see how it is."

"Yes! The fuck? It proves she better than me how do you not see that? She thinks she's so perfect and that she's better than everyone! Never leaves any praise for me."

"Oh I'm sorry," I'm not, she's really entitled. I feel a light tap only shoulder. I turn around to see my science partner Warren.

He wait a second before saying anything, probably to make sure neither me nor Darla have anything to say,"Anaija could you help me with something."

"Sure what do you ne-"

"She's busy," Darla deadpans with a deathly glare. Bitch.

I turn back to face the tall girl, "No I'm not we can catch up later Darla."

Warren speaks up timidly, "No it's fine I can ask Tanner."

He goes to turn away but I grab his hand to stop him, "Just give me a moment I'll sort this out." I let go so he can stand freely.

Darla snarks as soon as I do, "Are you really going to help that faggot?"

I turn around yet again. He looks taken aback by her choice of words, "Actually it might be best if you talked with Tanner. Sorry. "

"It's fine," His voice was shaky as he walked off.

"What is wrong with you!?" I whisper yell.

Darla looks offended, "Me!? What's wrong with you!? Haven't you the slightest but of respect for yourself? If you did you wouldn't waste any time on low lives like Warren!"

We fell silent for a moment as she waited for my response and I processed what she just said. She was the one who broke it, "You know? Because he's like that."

"Well I'm like that in a way so you can shut your mouth," I didn't mean to say that. It just came out like word vomit.

"How so Ani?" Her voice was mischievous and intimidating.

"um"