s i x

March 7, 2000

Smutt

"When my granny was 91," Sergeant yells and all sixty of us repeat the same thing. 

"she did PT just for fun," we repeat after him again. All of us on the same rhythm and marching in order, our steps synchronized.

"when my granny was 92  (repeat)

she did PT better than you (repeat)

when my granny was 93 (repeat)

she did PT better than me (repeat)

when my granny was 94 (repeat)

she did PT more and more (repeat)

when my granny was 95 (repeat)

she did PT to stay alive (repeat)

when my granny was 96 (repeat)

she did PT just for kicks (repeat)

when my granny was 97 (repeat)

she died and went to heaven (repeat)."

Why they let an army vet work as a correctional officer on a prison bootcamp makes sense. These cadences this man be having us "sing" is crazy though. Anytime we move as a group we have to march in a cadence.

I know one thing though, If me and Ericka was together before I left, I would have been ready to break out to kill a nigga named Jody. Jody piping down all the broads and living it up.

"Ain't no sense in going home," Sarge yells out, we repeat back.

"Jody's got your girl and gone (repeat)

Ain't no sense in going back (repeat)

Jody's got your Cadillac (repeat)

Ain't no sense in feeling blue (repeat)

Jody's got your sister too (repeat)

Sound off (sarge)

One, two (us)

Sound off (sarge)

Three, four (us)

Break it on down (sarge)

One, two, three, four, one, two...three, four (us)."

This shit here is a trip. I will say though, I didn't know I was out of shape until I got to this mother fucker. We sing and yell while working out. A nigga thought he was going to die them first two weeks. But by week three I was somewhat immune to it.

I would prefer this shit, which is kind of helpful for self discipline amongst other things, than the alternative which is prison. Prison I know I would have become completely heartless. The belly of the beast is not for the faint of heart.

This camp seems as if its intentions are to really rehabilitate some people though. I've heard about some nigga's going straight into the military after leaving here. That's good for them.

I'm not joining no military though. That ain't for me at all.

We finally made it to the dorms where we're housed. I can't wait to hop my black ass in the shower. They worked a nigga hard today.

"Man Sergeant Brooks was on one today," Ansha says sitting down.

"Hell yeah," I sigh, sore as hell. "I know one thing though, I'm gon' be finer than I already was when I leave. Stamina finna be on a thousand." I laugh a little bit.