s e v e n

March 11, 2000

Arique

I am standing here trying my hardest to not cry at the sight before me. Smutt and Bugg are holding onto each other tightly like this the first time they've seen each other in years.

"I missed you, JuneBugg," Smutt says lowly, squeezing him to himself, looking like he doesn't want to let go.

"I miss you too, Pop. But I'm not old enough to die," Bugg says making both me and Smutt laugh at him.

"My fault, man. I missed you so much though." He stands to his full height and places Bugg on his feet. We stare at each other for a little while, me happy as fuck to see him. You can tell his ass been working out because he finer than usual. "Lemme see my baby, Arique."

I was so caught up in him, I almost forgot that I was holding the baby. I thought we were having a moment, but he was looking at De'Arique. I hand him over to Smutt with a small smile. The baby was sleep, but with me handing him off, he opened his eyes giving me a mad look.

That little boy got a personality already.

He looks over at Smutt giving him a once over, but then snuggles up against his chest.

"Aww, I missed you too, lil man. You been givin' people a hard time?" Smutt smiles at him. "I don't know why I feel like you supposed to be talking already. You barely three months. "He sit up by hisself yet?" He looks at me briefly to ask.

"He tryin' to fa sho." I laugh a little. He takes a seat in the chair, pulling Bugg to sit on his right leg, and holding De'Arique with his left arm.

"Why Ericka ain't bring them up here?" He asks taking a seat.

"She had a lot going on with the salon and stuff she said." He nods his head.

"That's a good thing because..." he looks at the boys trying to find the right words to say, "well you know". And he is right, I do know. Ericka would figure out he is in camp and then Weasel would know. "Y'all gettin' big on me," he smiles at them, effectively switching the subject.

"Well, we all gotta grow, Pop." Bugg smart ass says, I roll my eyes and sit across from them. I don't say too much so I won't mess up their moment. "I help ta'e care of Dee Dee while you gone, Pop. We pen'a night wit' Untle Bubba."

"I know you was little man," he smiles running a hand over his waves. "You have fun over there?"

"Uh course. Untle Bubba friend wa' there and him played the game wimme too."

Delontae looks up at me.

"Oh yeah? What's his friend name?" I rolled my eyes at the question. He could've asked me.

"Him name Peanut." Delontae's brows shoot up at that name before he looks over to me.

"When y'all got cool? Far as I knew, you couldn't stand him."

"I saved him from his boyfriend on the way to your house."

His eyes go a little wide at the realization. "So he fuck around with him too?"

"Watchu mean too?"

"I'an talkin' about you. Or should I be?"

"Hell naw," I make a disgusted face. "I was just tryna figure out who you was talkin' about."

"Well for the sake of my jr I'm not tryna say too much. But I know you know who I'm talkin' about."

"I do but-"

"Okay. I get it. Ain't nobody tryna argue."

"You ain't have to cut me off though. I wasn't even finna argue. Jus' finna say how I was confused." I roll my eyes, mildly irritated.