Chapter 11

Bella laid sleeping in the medbay, her family had all left to work on other priorities such as finding Lillian. Chris was sitting in a seat next to Bella's bed and holding her hand as he stroked her hair with his other. He had noticed the wounds start to heal as Bella gained more sun energy for her cells to regenerate. Her eyes fluttered open and she turned to Chris smiling.

"I'm glad they let you stay." She paused for a moment considering her next words carefully. "I... feel as if I have a certain connection to you. I don't know what it is but I think it might be a bit of love." She blushed a bright red as she said this.

Chris chuckled softly. He wasn't laughing at her but laughing at himself after realizing that he felt the same without really knowing how to express it properly. He rubbed his thumb over her knuckles rhythmically as if he were playing music just for her. "I feel that connection too, I felt it when we were talking in the barn, and I feel it now. I wasn't entirely sure what it was until now or I was scared to let it take hold. Scared to love someone in case they would be hurt like my mother was."

Bella looked to the roof for a moment before turning her gaze back into Chris' eyes. "I know that it must've been hard losing her, I've never completely lost someone I love since my dad is still alive. I can only feel some of your pain and I wish that I could feel it a thousand times more so that I could walk through it with you. Even if we only just met, you are my knight in shining armour, my soulmate," she stated moving to place her hand over the one that he had on hers.

Chris smiled but it turned into a slight frown when he spoke not wanting Bella to have to take on his pain when she was going through her own. "I don't want you to have to feel that pain when you have some of your own. We can walk through our struggles together but we would take it at a slow pace and work our way up," he said with a small sigh blaming himself for her caring.

The Daxtonian felt her chest heat up with warmth when she heard Chris' words. "I don't want you to take on a burden by yourself simply because you don't want me to be hurt by it too. Your pain, and your fear is something you'll have to work through but not alone." She took a deep breath and exhaled. "I am getting better. I have learned to see that Barry does care about me, he did come to save me after all and he makes my mom happy. The next step for me is to just learn and grow into accepting him."

"I believe that you can do whatever you put your mind to. You are awfully stubborn from what I've seen. Especially with the fact that you didn't want to rest when you were it really covered in wounds. That stubbornness can help you but you do have to get it in check," Chris was teasing her for the most part to lighten the mood from the conversation they were having.

Bella laughed lightly which Chris thought of as music to his ears. "Just wait until you see me at home, I am really stubborn when it comes to my mom limiting my potsticker intake. That's when I am most opposed to what is being said to me. It usually goes in through one ear and out the other. Besides, you are one to talk about stubbornness when you keep insisting on me leaving you to deal with your emotions alone. Everyone always needs someone else to help support them along the way."

Chris hung his head low in defeat. "You got me there. Speaking of potstickers..." the boy trailed off as he held up a bag of fresh potstickers from Noonans that Barry had grabbed for Bella. He warned Chris about her metabolism and her restlessness although he knew about her impatience. "They should still be warm but you only get them if you promise to share one. I've heard you can be quite the Cookie Monster when it comes to potstickers."

Bella gasped dramatically before trying to make a serious face and failing miserably. "You will not be taking any of my potstickers from me, they are my life. They are what I love most and I can't live without them."