Chapter 12

A couple days later, Bella had finally been released from the medbay at the DEO. Her wounds were mostly healed and she didn't have major bandages on them anymore thanks to the yellow sunlight regenerating her cells. Kara and Barry had popped in a few times to check up on her but Chris stayed with Bella the most. Once she had been discharged Chris took her to Noonan's to enjoy sole sticky buns and go on an official date.

Bella sat at the table in the seat across fork Chris as she finished off her third sticky bun. "I have definitely missed these, the DEO only has terrible military food. They really should get some fridges added so they can have more better food."

Chris chuckled watching the Kryptonian scarf down the sticky buns. "I think the DEO has more important things to worry about than stocking up on 'more better food.' They're probably scanning for the person who did this to you... Lillian Luthor, right? The mother of the infamous Lex Luthor."

Bella looked down trying not to remember what had happened when she was in Cadmus. "Yeah, Cadmus is terrific at hiding because they move often. It doesn't help that the Luthors all seem to break out of prison whenever they are placed in there."

Chris noticed the expression of fear and worry on her face. He reached across the table and took her hand in his. "Hey, the DEO will find her. The prison we send her to will be able to hold her and she won't come near you again. I won't let her lay a single hand on your or your family," he said firmly while being ready to protect the girl he loved deeply.

Bella managed a small smile. "I appreciate you wanting to protect me but Lillian and Cadmus are dangerous. I don't want you to get caught in the middle of the drama between her and my family. She's put us through enough pain and I don't know what I would do if you experienced that too. You're only human and you can't heal quickly like I can, if you were hurt it would take months and not even fully heal-"

He cut her off with a small kiss and a reassuring wave in his eyes. "Don't worry about me, I can handle myself. How about we talk about the many ways the DEO could become a less serious place?" He asked suggested trying to lighten the mood.

Bella almost had a visible light bulb appear above her head as her mind went to the many ideas she had for the DEO. "For starters, they should include a slide leading from the top floor to the bottom, it would be much quicker to move around. I also think they should paint the walls a brighter colour instead of the boring grey, black, and white. Maybe blue and green to make it seem cool. Their training rooms could include technology similar to that of The Capitol in The Hunger Games, and of course, the kitchen with food food."

Chris smiled and rubbed the knuckles of her hand with his thumb while listening to her rant about how the DEO could be better. "Those are all very great ideas. I think we will have to bring them up with your aunt and have a serious discussion with her," Chris stated before noticing two familiar people come in.

Kara and Barry made their way over to the table that Bella and Chris we're sitting at while holding hands. They stopped in front of the younger couple and pulled up some chairs before sitting with them. Bella blushed when she saw Kara come in while she was holding hands with Chris. "Mom, Bar... dad, what are you two doing here?"

"We came to announce that we are engaged!" Kara exclaimed full of excitement. They hadn't had the chance to tell Bella of their engagement yet because they were trying to figure out the best way to tell her. In the end, they decided to just say it without trying to water it down.

Chris turned to the speedster and Kryptonian with his lips slightly upturned. "Congratulations Mrs. Danvers, I wish you well in your marriage."

Bella's eyes widened as she heard the news, she processed it for a moment and decided, after everything that has happened, to go with the flow and accept the changes that occur in life. "Congrats mom, I am happy for you."

"You can call me Kara," the reporter said to a Chris before pulling her daughter into a tight hug. "Thank you, it means the world to me that you're trying to accept him for me. I know that it's been hard with your father," she spoke softly.

"I believe that a celebration party is in order, we can throw a game night with potstickers, pizza, and alcohol for the adults. To announce the news to the rest of the family and our friends," Barry suddenly announced keeping himself from falling off the seat while vibrating from happiness.

Bella let go of Kara and laughed quietly. "We can have the awesomest party in the universe."

Chris faced Bella and chuckled with her use of the word 'awesomest.'

Kara excused herself for a moment to answer her phone that was ringing in her pocket. She saw Alex's number and walked away from the table to listen. "Hey, what's up?" She asked.

"Kara, the DEO is under attack. Cadmus agents have entered the building and outnumbered us. I'm calling for the DEO to evacuate and we could use Barry's help to get people out. Lili is unconscious with Evan tending to her and I've told everyone else to stay back. Can you ask Barry to come run agents out? Don't come and don't tell Bella what's been happening until we get another read on the situation. There is Kryptonite," Alex's voice filled Kara's ear as the look of amusement fell from her face. Kara swallowed a lump in her throat as she thought of what to do.

To be continued...