Chapter 7

Mika stood back from the dining table and eyed it critically. She gave a satisfied nod, fiddled for just a moment with the flowers which were the centerpiece and then went into the penthouse guest room to change.

She was not in the least nervous about the dinner party but she was unhappy... generally unhappy. It was Thursday, and since she was given tomorrow off, this was her last working day before Christmas holiday. The past four days had been very busy and they should have been fun because much of her time had been taken up by luncheons, the office party which had gone for hours and, this morning, yet another 'Christmas drink' which had been held in the Board Room for the eighteenth floor staff. There had been very little work going on in the building for the last couple of days--- which was only to be expected at this time of year.

Vic Galang's attitude was the cause of her unhappiness. They had reverted to the minimum of communication between them... talking only when necessary and never about anything other than work or whatever function they'd been attending. Twice when Mika's been off premises with her boss, Vic had given her a lift home, again with a curt farewell and no other comments.

Mika found this very frustrating... upsetting even. But she had accepted it and had quelled her inclination to try and change things... to get back on that footing which had been acquired over the past few weeks. Heaven knew that it had been delicate to start with... and now, it is gone. Oh, Vic was not being unpleasant, exactly. She was just... COLD. There was not even any sarcasm, no goading Mika into a response.... there was just this cold neutrality which was worse than anything. In fact, most of the time she seemed vaguely preoccupied, as though she was worrying about something which takes her attention even while she was working or in the middle of a conversation with someone. It did not distract her efficiency, and someone less sensitive than Mika might not even notice it. But Mika knew something was there. Vic resented her. If she was unsure of this before... she was convince of it now.

Kim Fajardo would be back at the end of January. Thank goodness for that. Kim flew back to Manila that Monday. She had telephoned the office several times, wanting to know what was afoot, talking for ages to the MD. Still, there was another month to go, weeks during which Mika would be working with Vic and she is wishing to the high heavens that things would be different between them.

Mika put the finishing touches to her make-up, dabbed perfume behind her ears and took a long look at herself in the mirror. The cream-colored jersey dress she was wearing hugged her slender curves and showed them off to their best advantage. It had a scoop neck, long sleeves, and with the gold leather belt at the waist, it was sufficiently dressy without overdoing things. She stepped into her shoes and brushed off her hair vigorously before putting on her plain gold necklace and earrings.

Idiot! Again she scolded herself. She find it pathetic that last Saturday she had gone out and spent a fortune on this dress... and she had chosen it with Vic Galang's preference in mind. It was not black. She smiled, pleased with her reflection. It was worth every penny.

Closing the lid of her electric curlers that she had carried to work that morning, she placed them in her vanity case. Her hair was long. She had difficulty in curling it without a little assistance. She was wearing it down tonight. It look good... a shiny cascade of very dark brown hair which reached beyond her shoulders. She wonders, would Vic Galang like it loose like this? Would she even notice? Hayst, Mika Aereen. Pull yourself together!

A knock on the door shattered her train of thought. The penthouse mayor doma popped her head into the room, an apologetic expression on her face.

"Sorry to interrupt you, Mrs. Ravena. Everything is ready. Are you sure you would not like me to stay and serve dinner? I can reschedule my dinner with my son and his family..."