Chapter 8

Vic was intrigued. Why the invitation? Mika had recently taken a step backward in their relationship. Was she now taking a step forward? Or did she really want to talk business? Hayst, Victonara. Huwag masyadong madumi ang utak.

She turned the car engine off and opened the door for her secretary. "Never let it be said that I have no time for business, mmm..."

"Never!"

They alighted the elevator on the 17th floor. Unit 1709. "Your key?" She held out her hand and she dropped her door key into the boss's hand. Vic opened the door for them.

Vic shed her dark mood as easily as she had shed her overcoat once they were inside Mika's living room. The former complimented the latter on her comfortable home. It was simple yet very cozy... very Mika.

Mika started talking, suddenly light-hearted, and it seemed she could not stop. Before making coffee she showed the boss around and they ended up in the kitchen. She explained how she came to rent the unit... how lucky she had been.

Vic took the coffee tray from her and put it on the low table in front of the settee and then switched off the overhead light and turned on two table lamps which left the room softly lit. It was only then that Mika had a momentary qualm about the wisdom of inviting her boss into her home so late at night.

She need not worry. Vic sat facing her, away from her, filling an armchair, her legs stretched out on top of a nearby stool. The boss looked utterly relaxed, at home. Mika could now see the tiredness in the boss's face which she had not noticed earlier. She worked too hard... far too hard. She starts at seven and finishes at eight or nine. At least, she thought she did. For all she knows, she might work till midnight. It would not have surprise her, if her boss did.

Mika put her boss's coffee on a side table near Vic's chair. Silence reigned for several minutes while they drank. Surprisingly, there was no awkwardness... no tension. How or why it was suddenly like that, Mika was clueless. She was just grateful for it.

"How long were you married?" Vic's question was point blank and it seemed to come after a train of thought.

"My husband was killed while we were on our honeymoon," she said quietly. Her answer came spontaneously and without any hesitation. "On our wedding day, to be precise. We have been married for barely ten hours..."

Vic's eyes caught Mika's. "Christ, I am so sorry! How awful..."

Mika dipped her head in acknowledgment, leaning back against the sofa. "And you?"

"I was married to Alyssa for three years. We married at age 20. It wasn't a whirlwind romance. We met in college and were girlfriends for four years before we took the plunge. The twins were three when she died." Vic spoke normally, unemotionally. "We both decided we want to have kids even before the marriage. We got married in New York. We went to Europe for our honeymoon. We had the IVF done in Paris. We used my egg cells and a French friend's sperm cells. We were so happy when we were told that we were successful on our first try and that it was going to be a twin. Midway of the pregnancy, she was diagnosed with breast cancer. There was an option to terminate the pregnancy so she could undergo chemotherapy but she refused. By the time she gave birth, the cancer was far advance already. She was ill for a long time. The twins barely knew her." Vic paused for a while and then she asked, "Your husband... I take there was an accident?"

"It was a car crash. After the wedding reception, we drove down to Laoag. We were in our own car and only about 15 kilometers from the hotel we booked for the night. We were to take a flight for Batanes the following day. We were supposed to spend a week there. Anyhow, it was dark and it was raining. I suppose Kiefer was tired and had had a couple of drinks at the reception. The accident was his fault. He took a bend too quickly, too near the center of the road..."