Chapter 17

The Buendia unit was cold. Mika switched on the lights as she entered. She was home! What now? It was almost dark outside and the evening stretched ahead of her, long, unwelcoming, and unwelcomed. So what now? She did not even have a newspaper to see what was on the television. Still, she had to go to the shops in any case. She needed a jar of coffee, some milk and some food for later. She might as well get back in the car and go to the supermarket. She did not take her coat off, she went out straight away. At least the house would be warm by the time she got back...

It was. She shivered against the sudden warmth as she fought her way through her front door, laden with three shopping bags. As usual she bought more than she intended. Her first priority was a cup of coffee. She normally gets 3-4 cups of coffee per day. Today, she had not had any yet. She made a pot and took the tray to the veranda settee. She was just about to go in for some milk when she saw a familiar white Rolls came to an abrupt halt outside her building.

Panic-stricken, she got inside her unit with her coffee set and made sure the doors were locked. "Vic!" What did she want? A confrontation? She did not want to see her former boss. She would not let her in... but she was already ringing the doorbell.

Heavens! What was wrong with this person? It sounded as if she was leaning on the doorbell.

"Gods!" Muttering aloud, she went to the door. There was no point in ignoring her. She'll stand there all night if necessary... or break the door down, by the sound of it. She was furious.

Furious was an understatement. Vic walked straight past Mika. "I've been halfway across Luzon looking for you!" she bellowed. "What the hell is this supposed to be?" She was waiving Mika's resignation letter to her.

Mika could not move. She had no idea what to say for the moment. She had not expected this reaction. Not from Vic. Not from the Vic Galang. So she'd been to Pulilan. Why on earth had not her family warned her that she was coming? Had they called to warn her that she was looking for her, she might have had taken some evasive actions. She'd have gone out if she had thought for one minute that she was... Of course! She had been out doing her groceries and left her cellphone at the condo for charging. Julie had probably tried to ring her...

"Don't stand there gaping at me. Answer me!"

"Calm down!" Mika snapped into action at once. "How dare you come here like this... unannounced, bellowing at me?"

Vic was furious. The glint in her eyes was a very dangerous one and when she took a step towards her, Mika took three steps backwards.

"All right... all right, Vic." Mika was shouting now... as angry as she was frightened. "I should have thought it obvious. That is my resignation."

"I am well aware of that! But why?"

"I told you in the letter. I have had my six months, more or less. And I decided I don't like the work. I- I can't take the pace... which is just what you thought in the beginning. Y-you were right, you see?"

Vic was pacing around the room and she told her in one word what she thought of that explanation.

"Do not use that kind of language in front of me, Vic. It is not... rubbish. I am not happy at the office, that's all."

"Why?" She was still shouting. "Why on earth can't you be honest?" She demanded. "For the life of me, Mika, can you tell me what is really amiss."

Mika faced her squarely... fuming... half-conscious of what her neighbors must be thinking. If they can hear her voice, they certainly could hear Vic's. "I will! I am leaving because I cannot stand working with you. I cannot stand you. You are an insensitive bully and I hate the sight of you!"