Chapter 23: Day IV (Strange Sights)

Georgetown

Washington, DC

Laverty's Bridal Boutique

December 21st, 2015

1500 hours

AUTHOR'S NOTE: SPECIAL SHOUT-OUT TO @Ericahale717 FOR THE IDEA!

Erica POV

"Actually, I just realized something," Nancy said before she helped me out of the dress. "You're the splitting image of your mother, right?"

"... yes?"

"And she's getting married?"

"Yes, our father... died. Now, she's remarrying... with a new man."

"So, who's walking her down the aisle?"

I didn't quite understand what she meant until I remembered the tradition of the father of the bride walking her down the aisle and "giving her away," so to speak. However, it didn't necessarily need to be the father, and I wanted to get Ben back for what he did.

"Well... my brother is," I responded, making Nancy's eyebrows rise.

"I... I'm sorry?"

"Well, my maternal grandparents have passed, so... my brother offered to do it. Considering that I'm basically a younger version of my mother, if you took a photo with him in a tuxedo with me, it'd look almost exactly like the real thing!" I reasoned, weaving together one of the most bogus excuses I had ever created.

"Brilliant idea! I'll have him in a tux in just a few! Come to think of it, I wonder why we have tuxes even though this is a bridal boutique..." she muttered as she walked away.

I couldn't help but internally grin at the fact that she took the tale of BS hook, line, and sinker.

'Now, are you grinning at the fact that you get to see Ben in a tux?' the voice in my head said irritatingly. I chose not to respond, not wanting to give it the satisfaction.'

'Listen, you can't ignore me, you idiot. I'm a part of you! The inner machinations of your mind may be an enigma—even to you, apparently—but I know what's up.'

'Really? And what, may I ask, is it?'

'You have a crush on him and you're interested in seeing what he'd look like on your wedding day. It's called a fantasy, you dumbass.'

'It's not a fantasy! He got me into this situation, so I'm just getting him back!'

'Revenge? Are you serious? That's so stupid, but I'm not surprised, considering that it's coming from you, Erica Ripley!' the voice chastised.

'YOU LITTLE BIT—'

"And, here we are!" Nancy announced as she opened the changing room door to reveal Ben... in a tuxedo.

He looked... good.

'Yes, just "good," which is why there is drool pooling in your mouth and your carnal side is beginning to show up again,' the voice deadpanned.

"OH!" I accidentally gasped to the surprise of Nancy and Ben. "Sorry, sorry! I just..."

'C'mon, c'mon, think of an answer!' I thought furiously.

'No commentary,' the voice replied cheerfully. 'You want me to shut up, I'll shut up!'

"Umm... your tie is a bit crooked... bro. Let me just—" I said as I stepped forward, my body acting independently of my mind. Reaching out, I adjusted his already-straight bow tie, feeling myself become even more flustered at the closeness. As it seemed, Ben felt the same.