Chapter 24: Day V (Sleds and Speeches)

Georgetown

Washington, DC

Book Hill Park

December 22nd, 2015

1130 hours

Mike POV

"Okay, guys... given what occurred yesterday, I'm going to ask that nobody goes alone anywhere, and I'm serious about this," Alexander stated as we sat at the picnic table with our hot chocolate and French pastries.

That shop makes some seriously good stuff. It's no wonder we keep going back there. Or maybe whoever's writing this story is running out of ideas. Besides, we also keep waking up late (except for Cyrus and the military sons, of course).

Anywho, back to the adults.

"I know you want to be as secretive as possible—given the Secret Santa—but please ensure that whoever you're with has some idea of where you are," Catherine added to Alexander's decree. "Everyone understand?"

After some acknowledgements from the group, I raised my hand.

"We're not in class, Michael. Speak freely," Catherine said.

"Yeah, what exactly are we doing today?"

"Hmmm... I don't know. We could try hide-and-seek..."

"C'mon, isn't it boring to do the same thing twice?" Erica interjected.

"You're just saying that because you and Ben got caught," Jawa bluntly pointed out, a smug grin on his face.

"Shut up, doofus!" the girl replied... blushing? And why did Ben seem equally flustered at the comment, whilst Cyrus seemed irritated.

"Be nice, Erica," Alexander scolded before turning back towards me. "And in terms of what we could be doing... there is a lot of snow, and a conveniently placed sled shop," he noticed, pointing behind us.

We turned to see where he was pointing towards. Lo and behold, there was a small stand someone had set up, and he was selling plastic sleds for just $7.00 each.

"Where did that come from?" Cyrus asked, scratching his head. "It wasn't there when we arrived. What is this, some stupid book or film rife with inconsistencies and plot elements appearing from nowhere?"

"Don't worry about it, sir! It's not like there's some fourth wall that we're breaking!" Jawa appeased, getting a little bit of laughter from the rest of us. "Like we established earlier: we are not living in a storybook!"

"..."

"OKAY, SLED TIME!" Zoe shrieked excitedly, making us all jump in surprise. With accuracy on par to Michael Jordan, she yeeted her trash into the appropriate can three yards away and grabbed Erica by the wrist. "Time to prove your mettle, Ice Queen!"

"Wait, Zibbell—" Erica protested.

"DID I STUTTER?!? YOU ARE GOING TO REMOVE THAT STICK FROM YOUR REAR AND HAVE SOME FUN!"

"..."

"NOW, LET'S GOOOOOO!"

"You got this, Zo!" I cheered, making everyone (save for Ben, who betrayed no emotion, and Cyrus, who frowned) roar with laughter as the junior CIA prima donna was dragged off by the energetic cutie known as Zoe Zibbell.

Yes, she's cute, I admit it. Don't all blow your gaskets at once.

"One chocolate macaron says Ice Queen chickens out," Jawa muttered.